Do you like the ultralight tuners on the new Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Jul 10, 2008.

1. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    From the front, I guess you can't tell, but lookwise, I am having a hard time getting used to the new ultralight tuners Fender is now using. I have an 08 P on order and from the pics they look odd -- Maybe it will be different once in-hand...

What are your thoughts:
    Was the change worth it?
    Do you really notice the weight difference?
    I would assume the sound is not affected, but I'd like to think it is all interconnected somehow -- mass=sustain/thump/mojo/shoulder ache whatever....

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    They work fine. I have no issues at all with them.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Schaller's that were being used on the older models, were no longer available.

The new tuners are of nice quality, and get the job done.

Can't really say I notice any difference other than the ratio being different.

3. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Hipshots are very good. I replaced the tuners on my MIM J with Hipshots and they are 10x better....don't know about the MIA tuners (pre-ultralights)

I didn't know the change was an availability thing -- I thought it was just weight?

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Smooth action + stay in tune + look the same (from the front) + no neck dive = A BIG WINNER.

My '08 P has the same or better sustain, thump, funk, mojo, whatever as the previous models, plus the neck doesn't dive! Shoulder ache is a little less, but that's probably due to the slightly lighter body, not the few ounces saved on the tuners. IMHO

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I always scratch my head when people speak of neck diving Fenders.

I've been playing Fender 4 bangers (mostly P's, occationaly J's) my whole life, and have never experienced anything even remotely approaching neck dive.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Everyone certainly has a different sensitivity to unbalance. Old Fenders did not have neck dive nearly as bad as some basses - such as Gibson Thunderbirds. But some of us still are of the opinion the balance wasn't quite right, requiring a wider strap with a more agressive surface and/or minor - but unwanted - upward force with the fretting hand.

7. Aesthetically speaking I don't like them at all. The part on the back just looks very odd.

8. I think their fine, any upgrade I'm am for.:smug: They seem sturdy, they hold tune and I actually think they look cool.:cool:

9. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    I like them just fine. They work smoothly and stay in tune. Those are the only important criteria for me.

10. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I like them because they never seem to go out of tune. Only wish I could stop myself from compulsively confirming that fact during each break...

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I don't have any problem with them. They look good, sound good and stay in tune. Three out of three ain't bad!

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like''em too. They work fine, and no one ever sees the back side anyway.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Regardless, in 25+ years of playing Fenders, (both old, new , everything in between, and copy's) I've never experienced anything even remotly resembling neck dive.

Sounds like crazy talk to me. :D

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had some trouble getting used to the appearance at first, since I'm so used to the huge kluson style tuners of yore, but it works, and I don't care how my bass looks very much...

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been using Hipshot Ultralights on Fender neck ssince the Hipsots were first available so I think it's a great idea.

16. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    Well ya, since you haven't experienced it, Fender neck dive must be in the collective imagination of all the others that have..:meh:

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I haven't experienced it either if thats any consolation.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I agree. :D:cool:

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Well, somebody experienced it, why else would Fender have made the change?

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Contract ended with Schaller? Got a better deal than they were getting with Schaller?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021