Do you like the ultralight tuners on the new Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Jul 10, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Schaller stopped producing the tuners used on the American Series so when the American Standard came out they used Hipshot.

Its a fairly straight forward line of logic that has already been presented in this thread.:eyebrow:

2. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    put the bass in your lap in a playing position....now let go of it....does the bass stay there?

probably not.

people have different ideas of what balance is. i agree most fenders balance with a good strap but they sure as hell dont balance when you're sitting down.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    They are great.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1

5. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    If you guys don't like them let me know... I need a set! :)

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

So I try this whith my new P bass. Yup, headstock goes toward the floor.

Then with my Old P bass. Same thing.

Then I try it with my Telecaster Guitar (not know to be neck divers) Does the same thing.

Next up: Gibson Les Paul Guitar "ditto"

Now to my Gibson acoustic. Yup, same deal.

I think you might need to revise your definion of neck dive if that's what you mean.

I think helium filled headstock chambers may be in order here.:D

7. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    straight trade for anyone with original <lefty> tuners....

8. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    well helium might work.

most basses fall to the floor and many guitars do too. But ive played a bunch of instruments that dont. It doesnt only have to do with headstock mass it mostly has to do with where the balance point of the bass is. move the balance point closer to the headstock (make the bottom line longer) and it counteracts the weight of the neck and tuners and stuff. Its easy to fix really. just design the intrument right and you wont have this problem.

if you want some examples of instruments with good balance (the way i think of it) check out carl thompsons stuff and mike brownes stuff. there was also an ibanez bass that i played not too long ago that balanced but i cant remember the name.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    It's not a problem. ;)

Having a guitar or bass that ballances perfectly when I let go of it in a seated position, isn't exactly a high priority for me. (look ma... no hands! crowd cheers) When my guitars all do this too, I really don't think this is an issue.

My test for neck dive is , strap the sucker on and let go of it. If the headstock doesn't dip towards the floor, it's not a neck diver. No Fender P or J that I've ever played has ever had even a hint of this.

Guess it's a good thing you don't play Trombone :D Imagine having to hold that thing up all night.

10. can we get a pic of the backing?

11. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Since Hipshot already makes a replacement for the vintage tuners, I see no reason for Fender to change their classic look/design for the ultralites. They could have just used the HB1, HB2 or HB3 design and put a custom F on it...http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2

...I think it is a dramatic change to an original...imo

12. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I'm a big fan of Hipshot Ultralite tuners and have them on my current 3 basses. I've never had any problems with them whatsoever, to me they look/work great and the light weight is definitely a plus.

George

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Actually I was referring to the utilization of different tuners to mitigate the heavy headstock on the Deluxe instruments that was supposed to "Improve Balance" as I seem to remember in the ad copy of the time. That is, the change from the heavy clamshell tuners of the America Standard to the lightweight Schallers of the Deluxe model. The lighter tuners was a deluxe/premium feature.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    New
    FNASPB-BLK-RSWD_headstock-back.jpg
    Old
    FAMPB-CCO-MPL_headstock-back.jpg

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

:meh: Those tuners aren't like any Hipshot Ultralight tuner I've ever used.

The ones I've had look like this:

[​IMG]

16. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    well if you never play sitting down then i guess its not a problem. I play alot sitting down, when im practising, when i do pit gigs, when i record and alot of the time when im rehersing with my band so i like it when my bass doesnt fall to the floor. makes sense to me

17. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Well I have to agree with you. I've never encountered a neck diving Fender either, though I can't prove or disprove that there are some Fender neck divers in existence. My initial reaction when I read the ad copy about the new lightweight tuners was, "Why"? Fender almost makes it sound like this was some long standing problem that they've finally addressed with the latest bass line. I'm all for it if it does reduce overall weight and improve overall comfort for the player, but I still tend to think this is nothing more than marketing hype.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    HELL NO. I will be changing them out on my Marcus Miller V and my 97 MIM 5 string Jazz bass.

19. Same. My Jazz Balances perfectly, but it does have a nice heavy (and very loud) body.

Also I hate the look of tiny bass tuners. Shallow? Yea maybe but they just look so flimsy and guitar like :(

Large open geared vintage fender style ones for me please! :D

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I play sitting down quite often.

Still not a problem. I can't think of any stringed instrument that's played in a horozontal position that wouldn't exibit what you're talking about. A mandolin does this too if you let go of the neck when seated. Never heard anyone call a mandolin a "neck diver".

I just don't get it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021