Do you like the ultralight tuners on the new Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by artdrtr, Jul 10, 2008.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You don't suppose that with a contract as BIG as Fender that Hipshot might make something exclusive for them?

I'd bet they'll sell more to Fender than every other one of their contracts combined.

You'll notice that they look fairly similar to the old Schallers. Maybe they wanted to keep a somewhat familiar look.

2. Me either.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

I'm not seeing your point there.

The fact remains that the tuners on the Fender don't look like the ultralights I've used.

I wonder if the tuners they made for Fender are as light?

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Call me old fashioned but I prefer the chunky old style machines... they just look the bis... fitted some Wilkos on my P...

[​IMG]

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    How can you miss that point?

Sure, they look different than the ones you are used to seeing.

... and I replied that it's possible Fender spec'ed something unique from Hipshot. As an outside vendor, Hipshot might just make something to Fenders specs , considering what a HUGE contract that must be.

Guess what, A Jazz bass doesn't look like any Fender I've ever owned .
    Fender Flatwound strings don't look like the Fender roundwounds I use either.

Are they as light is a totaly differnt question , and one you didn't bring up in your first post.

The point is, considering you missed it, is that Fender proably said to Hipshot, build us something with these specs, and we'll buy a Gazillion of them from you. Hipshot obviously obliged by making somethin unique for Fender.

Guess what... The Schallers on the old American Series basses look different than regular Schaller too.

EDIT: Here's an example of the same thing that might help make sense of this concept.

Ever seen a UPS truck? You won't see any other trucks on the road that look like that. They are manufactured by a company called Grumman which also makes some other very familiar looking delivery type trucks, but the look nothing like a UPS truck.

Grumman builds UPS trucks to UPS's specs, because it's a GIANT contract. Think of Fender like UPS, and another company , like say Lakland that also uses hipshots, as Bob's delivery service.

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I've got a new 08 P5 and the machines work just fine. Sure I like the look of the old ones but the new ones do the trick. And besides..... nobody else is gonna see 'em unless they're standing over your shoulder.

As for neck diving......if you can't hold the neck up on a P or J, it's time for you to eat some more potatoes and get to a gym.;)

Rezdog

7. Acustiman

Acustiman

Aug 22, 2008
    As for the neck dive do the 08' tuners make a significant difference, they only look maybe 1/3 smaller?

Got a 98'... and it's top heavy.

8. My '08' MIA Jazz V balances perfectly with the new tuners. I've had other people play around on my bass and they all say that the tuners are some of the best Fender has made, I agree that they work perfectly - nothing wrong with the new tuners.:smug:

9. Regardless of what Fender have done with the backs of their new tuners, at least they've stuck to the large diameter string posts :).

The Hipshot Ultralites on my two Sadowsky Metros had those skinny little posts (like a guitar :meh:) and it made it really hard to get the right number of turns on when changing strings and also caused more metal fatigue when de-tuning and re-tuning (i.e. more likely that a string will break).

I know that you can get Ultralites with Fender-size string posts, too. Just wanted to find something positive to say about the new Fender tuners, which would unite us all in agreement :D (or possibly start an even wider arguement :meh:).

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed and all the more reason I'm changing them out to the standard old styled Fender tuners on my Marcus Miller V because the bass is supposed to resemble the 70's Jazz bass which obviously the 70's basses didn't have these

neck dive or not and also If I could I would do away those damn posiflex rods that they have put in the neck of the bass also because I'm absolutely convinced that they serve no purpose whatsoever at all but that' another subject for another miff" at another time

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've used the Hipshot U/Ls with the skinny little posts since they were first available, detuned and retuned, even used the same strings on several projects with U/Ls and I've never had a string break.

12. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (10/14/09 - 12/16/19)
    That IS Neck Dive. When I do the same thing with my Fodera Monarch, it doesn't do that...with my 1964 Fender Jazz Bass, it does.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

When seated? Sorry guy, that's not neck dive . That's gravity. ;) Maybe you missed what I was replying to ?? We're talking about from a seated postion, not standing/playing postion.

Put it on a strap, and stand up. Now let go. If it goes toward the floor, THAT'S neck dive. No Fener bass I"ve ever played has done that.

If people are complaining because the neck goes to the floor when you let go of it (both hands) from a seated postition with no strap, then you've REALLY being rediculously picky.

14. Actually, if you the bass falls to the floor when you let go with both hands, I think that might be gravity.

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Exactly. Note, my edit and your post were at the exact same time. :)

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Actually the MIA basses use a lighter tuner, but thats not as light as the ultralite.

The MIA Deluxe ones that use true ultralites, and before the ultralites, they used the light Schaller ones.

17. Ha!

18. Maybe not :meh:, but the probability of it happening increased from 16.4% to nearly 27.9% :eek:. You were just lucky :D.

;)

19. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I like the newer, smaller ones on the '08's as compared to the similar designed, larger version on the '07 and earlier (absolutely HATE those). However I strongly PREFER the old school tuners with the 4 screw plates.

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    no I think it may be time to invest in some Strap Locks !

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021