1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Like to Learn Songs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, May 6, 2010.

1. Yes

164 vote(s)
    81.2%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Carrots

20 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Do you guys like to learn songs?

I do. I'm one of those guys who doesn't mind the audition process so much, as it's an excuse for me to learn new songs. I enjoy figuring out and learning new stuff to add to my repertoire.

But I find that alot of guys don't. One of the hard things about putting a band together, and why bands play the same old songs.

How about you guys?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I like playing new songs, for sure. If that means I have to learn them I will...:cool:

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I like learning new material better than I like writing new material. I feel it's time for my band to add another set worth of tunes. It sounds like fun, and would pay off with our fans in a big way IMHO. They seem to be on a writing kick lately. I don't mind writing a tune here and there, but three original tunes that are in various stages of completion could have been 10 or 12 new covers that would be filling the dance floor.

Anyway, yes. I like learning new songs. I also like learning new songs that make me use my drop D tuner.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sure! Also, I like to transcribe the bass part when I consider it pretty interesting and/or cool.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Learning simplistic songs by rote is easy, but I prefer charts.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I like to listen to a song 3 or 4 times and then play it by ear. All I need is some chord changes and the basic idea of what it should sound like. I've never learned a complicated bass line note for note, there's no reason to. And this way they sound like me.

7. Twnty1inRF

Twnty1inRF

Sep 13, 2007
    DC Region
    I love learning new songs and will work on an entire album when I have the time. Aja, Ghost in the Machine, So, etc...

8. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    +1. As I'm still discovering a lot of things, learning and transcribing helps me pick up on different riffs, rhythms, chord movements, and so on...

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yes. Occasionally I am obsessive about it. I usually pick out the guitar and bass parts and bring them to the band. Of course my guitar player never shows me the same courtesy. ;):D

10. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I've been trying to do this but it never seems to work out for me. I've been listening to music non-stop for the past few weeks, REEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY paying attention to the bass lines... but when I try to play them they never sound the same. Even when I have to break out the tabs or the sheet music.

11. It depends. Being a member of a cover tune band I have to learn new songs whether I like them or not. But I much prefer the song be relatively easy; not because I don't like the challenge, quite the contrary. I enjoy testing myself to a certain extent.

That being said, I don't like it when someone brings their song to the table and it's a complicated piece. In the time that it takes everyone to learn one song, we could have learned 3 or 4 simpler ones that almost always go over better with the crowd anyway... I'm having fun with Turning Left by Chickenfoot but this song is going to bomb with all but a few people. I know there's a million bassists who will say "That song's easy!" but whatever. It takes more time than necessary for a negative payoff.

12. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Why copy someone else, when you can create something new?

13. Noooooooooooooo!:eek::eek::eek:

Not this again. I refuse to participate.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Definitely! It's one of the most fun aspects of playing music. If you don't thrive on the continual challenge of learning more material, you might as well quit music and find some non-creative activity to pursue. :eyebrow:

This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Not a bit of sense. Like a party clown who hates kids. Or a chef in an Italian restaurant who's allergic to garlic. :rollno:

MM

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Maybe that's because you've just been playing variations of the same part - regardless of the tune... :ninja:

:bag:

MM

16. I dig it- and a big ego boost for me is that I often notice details we're missing. I'll point them out, argue that *this chorus is a measure short of the others* or *no, the bass actually stays on a dronong Db her* or w/e, and 9 of 10 times I'm right. :)

17. It's all been done before. :)

Edit: pnut166 says it better. :D

18. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    learning existing songs is integral to being a musician, imo. I try to learn songs all the time; even songs that I may not particularly like. By that I mean, I may learn a song by a band / artist that I would never actually buy a CD of or get into on the radio. It helps me develop overall; learning different lines, in different styles, and different approaches, gives me more tools to incorporate into the stuff I DO like. It also helps build different physical skills, muscle memory, etc. So, to answer the question: Do I like learning songs? I don`t really consider it a question of preference; I consider it necessary. All music is built on music that has existed before in some form or fashion. We can recombine it, play it in different tunings, etc., but the foundations are already there. Learning existing songs is an exercise in theory and music history, in a sense.

19. Couldnt have said it better myself!

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Gigs, Money, Adulation, Chicks........