Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like to see those cones jumpin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BbbyBld, Dec 25, 2005.

1. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I like bass cabinets where I can see the speaker cones, but I know some come with grille cloth. I think that metal grilles look more durable as well.

From a cosmetic standpoint, what's your opinion on grilles if you had to choose between grille cloth or metal?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like to keep an eye on my "excursion"... metal or plastic.

3. I like a metal grill, but it has to be done nicely so it looks good.

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hey! follow the practical way! us metal grille, for troubleshooting!!and metal grilles look nicer! :bassist:

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    metal all the way. outside of looks, you can see issues with the cones. but hey, if you get a good deal on an good sounding older cab with a cloth grille, who cares????

6. From a purely cosmetic standpoint I like metal grills AND a natural wood baffle board. It really shows off all of those speakers in your rig. With that said I would "NEVER" make a gear decision based on this preference. Sound is #1.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    +1, and i would rather have the protection a metal grill provides the drivers with if i had the option. my old PV combo driver - with its crappy mesh grill - has been nearly punctured several times because of some people's stupidity around my equipment.

8. I love the look of a metal grill on an amp, ive been considering trying to get a similar layout as my peavey 410 cab has, but for my 215, so they both have similar asthetics, and, the grill just looks meaner ;)

9. clothe grille for me, im not a fan of the 'hardwearing industrial' look... and considering i havent damaged any cones after numerous tours and everyday wear, let alone the grille itself, says a lot for just making sure you look after your stuff.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like to see the cones, for sure.

11. Metal grilles! I like to see it!

12. Cloth. Ampeg style is awesome! I don't really care though. I could go either way.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I enjoy the way my cabs look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Nothing is worse than playing a bunch of dance covers in a cover gig, looking out in the crowd and not seeing the ladies "cones" jumping up and down....

:bag:

15. mohamby

mohamby TONE,TIME & FEEL

Sep 15, 2005
    Nashville, Tn
    some metal grilles rattle.

16. poorly assembled metal grilles rattle.

I like metal, myself.

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    definitely metal.

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ahem....Mesa!

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I prefer the Grateful Dead style tie dye cloth over metal grille. :)