Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like your DP Custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, May 18, 2002.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass later on in the year. I want something considerably better than my Ibanez. I was looking around and the thought ocurred to me to take a look at a DP custom. I want to know what they are like. If you own one, what do you think of it? what do you like/not like? What are they like compared to other basses of similar price?

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, as I haven't recieved my bass yet, I can't really comment on it. BUT, I can comment on Dave, the luthier.

He has been SUPER helpful and patient with me as I understand he has been with others. He seems to be a guy who wants to really build a good quality instrument that will suit YOU, regardless of his own personal taste.

Don't get me wrong, he steered me away from a couple pitfalls and in the direction of something better; but if you say it has to be this way, then it'll be this way.

I'm sure by the end of the day plenty of people will have posted and given you their opinions of Dave's work. Good luck on the new bass!:)

Alex

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I haven't sent in my deposit yet, but I can confirm what RedV has said about working with Dave. He is extremely helpful in determining not only what will make a better bass, but will make a better bass for you.

4. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    dave is indeed great to work with. i have no complaints about him.

dave, how long have you been building instraments?

5. I love my DP :D It rules!
    so far I'm totally stoked, Dave built me an awesome instument that I would never been able to afford otherwise.

read my review.

Lean Mean DP Custom Zebra Machine

6. working with dave was totally great, but i am dissapointed overall. my fretboard began to separate on the G side of the neck between the 5th and 12th frets. dave insisted on repairing it, and his diagnosis was that it was a "glue-starved joint". he replaced the pau ferro fretboard with a piece of massacar ebony. the fretwork was great this time too. but, becuase he made mistakes on the fret dot layout i had requested he had to add some neck binding to cover up the messed up edges. also he added a small piece of walnut up by the headstock because he thought it was thin from he repair job. i'm bummed because it's no longer my "sick custom bass" but more of a franken-fiver with a new fretboard and binding. it's original shine has been lost, and i don't look forward to playing it anymore. don't get me wrong, dave did a real good job on the repairs (minus the fret dot thing), and it's still an awesome bass. it's just not the same to me anymore, and all i'm concerned about is "will this happen again?" we have to wait and see i guess.. i'm considering asking him to remove the hardware and let me pay for new woods and just re-do it. i'm not concerned with time anymore, i just want the bass i had originally paid for.

7. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    did you rush him? because his rush jobs...dont turn out well. when did you have this bass made?

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    At least you're willing to give him another shot at it. I know alot of people would be turned off on Dave's work right then and there, but you say you'll give him another chance. No one is perfect, and mistakes are going to happen. That's the price you pay sometimes for a hand-made instrument, but being willing to give him another chance is great!

9. hey man, i'm totally there with you on that. i was really stoked the first time around, and i know he can make some kickass stuff. i still am stoked, and i'm willing to fork over more cash to make it right. he's an awesome guy and i don't want any fellow TB'ers to think any different. he's a good man who does good work, and i think mine was just "one of those things" that can happen. i didn't mean i was totally disappointed, but to have it for only a couple of months and have to send it back killed me. not only that, he's so busy anyway i knew i was gonna end up pushing other projects back that he was already working on. i really hate asking him to do it again.

10. to prague77 : the bass was finished last november. the problem begain in january, and i sent it back to him in february. i just played it a few hours ago, and i still like it a lot, but the ebony board lost some of the fat, round lows that it had before. there is more definition in the lower register, but it lacks the low end boom it had perviously. it not bad sounding at all, just not what i had in mind.