Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you like your own songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JDT, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Yes, I do

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. No, I don't

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Some I do, some I don't

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. I've been thinking about this for some time now, and I'd like your opinion on this.

If you write a song yourself (or the biggest part of a song), do you actually like that song? I wrote lyrics for one a while back, and even though the songs seems to grow on me, I can't say that I like it. On the other hand, the songs I play with the band that they made before I joined are the ones I like.

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    This is a good question, but remember you'll be more critical of songs that you write yourself. When I write a song, I go through about ten drafts of each part of the song from opening riff to solo (if it exists) to half-time feel. It's not always easy, and a lot of times just ends up to be mediocre. I leave it to other people to decide, and just try to create music from my heart rather than thinking about it too much.

3. Hmmm...... Because I play my own songs so much to get them right and down pat, you get sick of them.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For the most part, I like my own songs. The trick is not to listen to them too much! It's easy to get caught up in your creation and listen to it over and over and marvel at what you've accomplished, but as with most any song, you'll get sick of it!

But overall, it can be just plain difficult to be objective about your own music. That's pretty much almost a universal truth.

5. I have a problem with writing something and sticking to it. I'm always noodling around and trying to make it better. I get bored pretty quick.
    I also have this mental thing where I think "If I can play this, it must not be that great." Sort of crappy self esteem, I guess. This applies to my artwork as well.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This is exactly why i'm leaving some bands.

I feel I don't write well enough. I always try to write crap like Phish, Rush, Yes, all that crazy prog stuff... :help:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I absolutely love love love my own songs. I didn't used to, but then I got good at writing. I don't love every single song I ever wrote, and I sure as hell don't listen to my own songs for enjoyment, but I think they're great. Too bad nobody else will ever hear them, though. Oh well, one day when I get multimillions to spend on payola I can get some kid to record them and make him a star ;)

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like them, but I always have the feeling they could be so much better. Which is good...I think.

9. I hate writing lyrics. I'm pretty decent at coming up with parts and putting parts together.

10. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I like mine, some take a while to grow on me but for the most part I like them, the favorite one I wrote would have to be Daybreak Memories. Everyone I've shown in family and school (including my English teachers and now Writing professors in college) loved them as well as my other poems and my first two songs were published as well.

I'm the only person in my band who writes the lyrics and music to all our songs, but since my guitarist and drummer just left for college I'm looking for new members and all the candidates don't write lyrics and can't come up with unique music (half thier own stuff sounds like what I hear on the radio) so I'm still doing the same thing.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~mikesmale is where all my songs, poems and short stories are posted and copy written if anyone wants an example. Anything published says so in the summery.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I wouldn't listen to the crap I make. what I make and what i listen to are complete opposite, kinda...

but others seem to enjoy it.

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Mine are never good enough or finished enough to be counted as a full song. I have an idea then I start writing/playing. Then I will be distracted from it and I lose what I had in my mind. So if I could ever finish a full song I'll let you all know.

Or when your playing something someone says "Hey that sounds familiar" and you realise you wrote a full song that sounds like the kinks or something.