1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you like your pedals to do one thing, or more than one thing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    ...More specifically, 'one thing per footswitch' might be an appropriate detail.

Just curious here:

Last night I was a little bit sucked into Youtube videos of the EHX Ring Thing. Really amazing how many things it can do when one would assume it is just a ring mod. Sounded good, too.

But the fact that its presets, like the POG2, are basically "scroll through with one stomp switch, and then engage with another" kind of turns me off. I realize I get kind of annoyed with the MS60 similarly, where if I have multiple sounds I want to use instead of just one on/off patch, I have to scroll through them in order (like A is the clean patch, B is a chorus patch, C is a fuzz patch, etc).

In short, I've found I like my effects - even multieffects - to just have one effect on/off per switch, and where the knobs show me the settings I'm hearing. That's why I liked the B3 when I had it, for instance - used it in stompbox mode.

How about you guys?

2. I like having the advantages of both types of pedals on my board for the sake of performance. I certainly understand your frustration with the MS60B, I too am struggling to solve that puzzle.

3. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

Nov 3, 2011
    Princeton
    I personally don't mind the bank switching on my Strymon big box pedals. I get two presets per bank which typically covers anything that could occur in a given song. The good thing is there are solutions to expand preset selection through strymon and companies like Disaster Area.

4. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    Well... I usually set my pedals to one sound and leave them like that. Nothing worse than dialing in certain sounds during a performance. So that's why I like my fuzz or modulation pedals very simple and basic. But I like to have a versatile multi like my Line6 M9 as well and I also use a Ring Thing. I think the solution they chose for the presets is pretty convenient. I mean, its only 8 of them and you can scroll through them with a footswitch or with a potentiometer as well. But my presets in my Ring Thing are all kind of weird, so they are more like special effects and it doesn't have plenty of use. That makes it maybe even easier.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It just depends for me. If I like the way a pedal sounds and it’s something that I’m interested in getting I can adjust to the playing field normally. Functionality has never stopped me from getting/trying a pedal on other words. Can’t say I have a preference really. I just run with it and see what hallens.

6. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    I just came across this:

alecduncan likes this.
  7. RickenCliff

RickenCliff

Aug 6, 2012
    St. Louis
    Kinda depends for me, I like a simple balls to the wall fuzz I can set n forget, then there are pedals like my Hog2 which can do anything from an organ, volume swells, freeze function, all kinds of crazy jazz. I guess if I was going to have a pedal that was performing multiple duties, I would want to ensure that that one pedal could cover ever aspect better than individual pedals. If I can't get it to sound the way I need, tack another one to the board!

8. I always wanted to be a crazy fiddler and what not but given I play in a metal band that doesn’t usually mess around too much in between songs, dedicated stomp boxes with dedicated one good thing.. had a zoom b2 for a while which whilst half decent seemed far too frustrating to use to be gigable.. didn’t mind my OFD for having two presets as seperate foot switches which was nice but then my boutique pedals have better drive that I wanted... dedicated one good things it is.

9. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    There's really two different conversations here. Multi-fx means digital, so what you're talking about is user interface. If you're going to use multiple presets live, programmable switching is really not an option. Things like the MS60 are designed for selling one product to lotsa people who want one thing, not one person who wants lotsa things. Anything meant to actually be versatile for one person is going to have midi/controller options.
    As for analog, of course 99% of the time purpose built devices perform better than knob collections. Again, versatility is about selling to a wider market, not allowing you to do bunches of cool stuff. Lots of knobs allows more people to bend the device to their purpose, but complicates the circuit adding opportunities for noise, artifacts, coloration, interference, etc... A high degree of control is usually only necessary for something very rig specific like compression, or wacky like Dwarfcraft pedals.

10. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh, you know, I wasn't actually talking about multiFX or digital specifically. Well, not in the way most people think of multiFX anyways.

2 examples of good-ol' analog pedals that give me the same heartburn (possibly for no GOOD reason, I will concede):
    The Way Huge Camel Toe and the Pigtronix EP-2.
    -- Both of these pedals have 2 footswitches and 2 effects. BUT, instead of one switch being for one effect and the other for the other effect, they are bizarrely set up to where you have to switch between the two effects with one switch and then engage with the other! That honestly baffles me. So yeah, you're right it's a UI problem, but it's not limited to big complex digital units.

theunknowndude likes this.
  11. My biggest bugbear is pedals that have multi stuff like the IE polytope... sooo many sounds in that pedal but you have no presets and would need to fiddle for ages to get said different sounds :(

12. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, I hear ya, I've had that problem with some too.

13. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    Obviously 'lotsa knobs' doesn't apply so much to things like the Camel Toe which are really discrete devices in one housing. I've never encountered any pedals, analog or digital, that worked liked that, but it sure sounds like a good reason for heartburn. Pedals with splashpages?

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I totally understand the advantages of something like the Source Audio Aftershock: so much versatility in one box, and the price is astoundingly low IMO (taking quality into account here). That said, I prefer each of my pedals to have a particular flavor (range of flavors, that is). I own a couple dozen dirt pedals -- I only use 2 or 3 per gig, but I like to "paint" with 'em: for hard rock I typically bring one for high end sizzle, another for warmth, another for crunch -- for me that's the best way to mix'n'match (i.e. stack). Sometimes I'll replace one of those with a multi-band OD which I set up as a specialty tone: dUg-like growl and clang.