1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you like your Squire Vintage Modified fretless jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duke2004, Aug 13, 2007.

1. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    If someone owns one, any reviews/comments would be cool. Ive seen the BassPlayer review, but i tend to think they are a bit biased...

2. I just played one today and it was great. Low action, easy playability and a great tone. I think I'm gonna pick one up and have all the VM Squiers... (well not the P but I already have a US P Bass!)

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I got one and I only had about 3 hrs on it before I started doing the relic on it. But its great, good fit and finish, hardware and pickups are fantastic. My only gripe was mine has a 4 piece body and the seams dont line up.

small vid here reocrded direct to PC

4. BassOverflow

BassOverflow

Jul 12, 2007
    Western NC
    I love mine! For the $, this bass really can't be beat!

5. Ive played both the fretted and fretless J, and they are absolutely wonderful for the price, smooth neck, great action and tone that could challenge that of a much more expensive instrument.

I just ordered a Fretless Vintage Modified today, cant wait for it to come in.

6. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Hmm...this doesnt sound like a difficult decision after all )

7. i got one, and man, its great
    the tone is all jaco all the time,
    or tony, or pino, or les or.........

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have gigged twice with it (I didn't bring my Warwick to those gigs). I love the sound of it (even the slap sound!) and it's comfortable to play, but I think I will bring it to a luthier to make the the fretboard more even, as it feels like some of the the fretlines are higher than the rest of the fretboard. I get a bit too much buzzing so I can't keep the action more than half as low as I'd like to. I also noticed yesterday that most of the screws were not very tight so I tightened them, or tried to at least. Two of the loose screws at the bridge (total of 5) I couldn't tighten. There was no real resistance. This bugs me. I Think I need to unmount the bridge and check out these two holes, maybe fill them with some filler material and mount the bridge again.

Value for money: 9
    Sound: 10
    Craftmanship: 7
    Reliability: 5 (at least if not checked thoroughly before taken into use)
    Looks: 9 (unlined would be a 10)

9. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    i have played mine on my last 4 gigs, i love it. I just wish we did some music that was more suited for a fretless bass.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I don't own one, but have played (such as I can) 2 different ones now and both were stellar! Although one had markedly higher action than the other both were fantastic and had no fret buzzing, well...except when I missed.....

I chalked the high action up to poor setup as the neck was straight as an arrow shaft and the frets all looked just fine, but for some odd reason the bridge screws were jacked all the way up....I guess some fellows fancy themselves luthiers.....or a monkey did the setup......

Fantastic basses for the money! I was going to pick one up but opted for my project SX first.....

I still might pick one up, but then if I gave in to all my GAS pains, I'd be divorced and living in a one room flop house with 173 basses.....wait....can that really be a bad thing?
    :D

11. I'm happy with this bass. Very good looking, plays nice, and sounds good. You can't beat the price of these basses....

SquireJacoBrice5Stringjazz002.
    image_57131.

12. :eek: :ninja: :confused:

:bassist: :D :hyper: :bag:

:rollno: :eyebrow:

explanation please...

13. Rowsdower

Rowsdower

Feb 14, 2007
    Michigan
    Mind if I ask where in the U.P.(if thats where they were at) you found some of these basses? I ordered one from musicians friend a month ago and its still 'being packed' so a quick drive across the UP would be alot better than waitin for musicians friend. thanks

14. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    hahaha its so clean and pretty unlike mine, LOL..

Do not hesitate to get this bass its awesome.. I love it :bassist:

15. Brett,
    Yours is awesome!!! I can't believe how fast you performed that surgery....Great Job...Great Look.

16. does anyone have any experience with the vintage modified p bass?? all i ever hear about is the jazzes but im really curious as to how the p stacks up

17. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Mattman I was at GC picking up a shipping carton and was so impressed by the Jazz I tryed the P since im kinda gassin for a white P bass..

It was fan-fricking-tastic.. If I had the cash I would of bought it on the spot.

All it needs is a red tort shell pickguard... :)

18. thats interesting, its good to see companys like sx and now squire making truly gig worthy solid instruments in the lower price ranges, i realize that there not gonna be a american fender or anything like that, but for the cash it doesnt sound like you can beat it, and you wont feel all that bad about the first bad ding you lay on that badboy lol

19. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I agree!! What *is* that video clip??? :bassist:

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    [​IMG]

Just a little shot of mine there! I love it, looks amazing, sounds very nice, and plays excellently! Definitely a worthwhile buy for me!