1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you listen to your ipod in public... I have stopped.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am a musician and music lover, but i have decided a while ago against listening to my ipod in public. I find that i would rather take in the sounds of whats going on around me rather than drown them out with music. This way i am getting the full sensory experience of reality, weather the sounds are good or bad. Also, something turns me off about the idea of EVERYONE wearing ipods. It seems as if you are just shutting yourself off to other people and possible interactions you might be able to have. For me, my ipod stays at home next to my stereo or grados, where i can take time out of my day, listen to music in high fidelity without other distractions. What do you guys think, ipod lovers and haters alike?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    actually, i was like that, but now i use it in public. :)

3. Nope... I love my hearing too much to ever use ear buds of any kind.. Much too easy to damage those irreplaceable auditory nerves.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just don't turn it up so much...

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Or don't use earbuds... headphones have always worked for me.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i don't have an ipod... but i don't hate the idea of having one. if i had one, i would probably occasionally listen to it in public, but not always. like you, Linas, i'd rather 'take in' my environment than close myself off from it.

7. I like wearing mine on the bus, but not having any music playing and eavesdropping on the conversations around me.

lowsound

8. Ooh, sneaky(!

9. I wear mine a lot.

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I do the same. Some of the things you hear while people think you aren't listening are quite interesting.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I dont own an iPod or a CD player (portable) or anything. I rarely listen to music when I'm out and about.

At home I have my stereo. When I want to listen to music, I want to hear it. That means having a dedicated music listening space to me. Forces you to pay attention IMO.

12. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I think you're being overly pretentious. Sometimes you want to shut out the world, or even just have something to listen to on the bus. Hell, you don't have to have it on loud volume and you can combine the sound of the world with your music.

I just came back from a club, past 1:00am, there's nothing worth hearing at this time, belive me I've walked back many a time and it's pretty damn quiet this time of night. So I'm glad of my ipod, it allowed me to listen to some decent tunes and continue the night out.

13. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I don't listen to my ipod in public. However, I do listen to my Sony 6Gb Walkman in public... :D :ninja:

I have big headphones - I got sick of earphones.

14. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Me too, got me some sony DJ monitor headphones. I'll never go back to earbuds.

15. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    personally, I'd rather listen to music coming through my headphones than some dude failing to hit on some chick, a gaggle of dumb teenage girls gossiping, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, some other dink playing tinny-sounding music on his cell phone, some dude playing his gameboy without the use of headphones, extremely loud conversations in gutteral forreign tongues, and the sound of the subway's breaks screaching everytime I pull into a station... all at the same time.

I dunno... give me headphones or give me my own car.

16. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I'm not sure about over there but here, on the bus and elsewhere, you get random tossers playing music through tinny speakers on their mobile phones. Annoying as hell, a personal music player is great distraction.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Oh god yes! The chavs sit on the back of the bus and play drum n bass through their phones. I don't know how they can stand the terrible quality (and lack of bass!).

18. I try not to listen to anything in public too much.

But when snowboarding time comes all bets are off.... Very few things better than having pure liquid amazing being poured violently into your ears while flying down a snow covered mountain.

I can't wait for this season =3

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I have all my best ideas while trudging to and from supermarkets and banks and pubs. I think music would be a bit distracting.

I only use portable music when I'm going anywhere on public transport, because that gets really boring, but I like walking places.

20. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    I refrain from listening to it in public because I think people who do listen to them in public look like creeps. Just a personal opinion. No offense to the people who like them.