1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you live in your home state?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 25, 2007.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Do you reside in the state you grew up in? Why or why not?

I grew up in CT, but I don't want to stay here after college. There are some political reasons that I will not get into, but I just don't really like the general atmosphere and vibe around here. I like my town that I grew up in, but not enough that I'd choose to stay.

2. Yeah i do live in my Home State

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    New Jersey born and raised!

I've lived briefly in a couple other states.... but NJ is home

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    NJ all my life but I'm planning on moving to Long Island in a year and maybe elsewhere after that.

5. Mmm hmm.

I have never left this time-zone.

6. slidoom

slidoom

May 10, 2007
    i still live in my home state.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Nope.

Born in Staten Island NY, family moved to Howell NJ, then to Prescott Arizona, then to Glendale AZ, then to Redondo Beach CA, then to Torrance CA, then to Lawndale CA, then to Murrieta CA. I plan on leaving here soon.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep.

9. If I lived in the US, i'd always live in my home state. :smug:

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, unfortunately.

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Well, in your case, I think that's a given. I can't think of any reason someone would want to move to North Dakota by their own volition. :smug:
    Of course, I've been in the same city in Alabama for all of my 24 years, and other than being here on the coast, I don't know why someone would want to move to Alabama.

12. no home stater here.

lived for 33 years in upstate NY (Utica). Great pizza & family and that's about it. Left NY cause of long winters and humid summers, crappy jobs also. Went to New Mexico (Las Cruces) with the wife for 3 1/2 years for her schooling. Ended up in Washington State (Olympia) loved it great people, the rain wasn't that bad. Left because my wife's the primary breadwinner & she got a great opportunity in California (Napa). Been here 3+ years & love it.

I do miss the family but you do adjust. Also the family pampers you when you visit. Will never go back to NY.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Kinda...

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Born in Newcastle, live in Newcastle.

15. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    I grew up in a lot of states. Anxiety, elation, depression, fear, etc. Not to mention texas, indiana, kentucky, and hawaii. I currently reside in hawaii, the state in which I've been in the longest. total of 11 years in hawaii.

16. Sure do and never realized how good it is here until travelled a bit. Will never move.

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I live in the same state, but a different city. Ended up back here for a job after living in 5 different states.

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I was born near Pittsburgh, but live (and have lived) in the same town in central PA since 11. Actually, I spent a year between western MD and NoVA, but back to the town I grew up in and went to college, etc.

However, vacationing to Phoenix, Vegas, and SoCal the last two summers, I have motivation to eventually get out of the northeast. I really, really loved it in the Southwest, despite the heat.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I bought and live in the same damn house I grew up in, let alone the same state :D

20. Yep.

I was born here, the family moved to Massachusetts for a short while then bought a house and moved back by the time I was five. I bought a house in the same neighborhood.

I have some really strong feeling about getting the heck out of Dodge though. It's just going to crap. We have a mayor that is pretty much an absentee landlord.

One of the only things keeping me here. I bought my house at a good time when prices were good (92), plus I refinanced a couple of years ago and have a great rate. My brother is currently renting a house at more than twice what I am paying my mortgage.

Oh yeah, my PITA neighbors also moved out. :hyper:

Still though, I see greener grass elsewhere.