Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you LOVE music? (caution, ranty)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Dec 18, 2002.

1. I have a problem when people say they LOVE music. Well...it's not so much a problem as a weird pang.
    I've heard big rockstar millionaires talk about how they love making music and I always think "Yeah, cuz it made you rich." then they go and pervert it by releasing some crappy, self-indulgent record that seems like it was made with less of a love of music and more of a love of yourself.
    In addition, I know many of the MTV crowd that talk about how much they love music (according to one girl, she loves music so much that she can pick out the cowbell part of a song :confused: ) But so often any pieces they write seems so trite and simple to me, which does not show much of a love of music, rather a love of whatever style is popular.

I really enjoy music, but I could not go so far as to say I love it. Like, truly love it, with a passion, like a companion, if you will. The reason being, there are so many people out there, people like Louis Armstrong, Charles Mingus, Mozart, etc., that had such a passion for making music, that I feel like a crumble in comparison. The truth is, there are things that I feel very strongly about, some of them more so than music, so I feel like I'm cheapening music if I go off and talk about how much I love it. (Like the aforementioned girl.)

*rant over*

Sooooo...The question I ask is, do you really feel like you LOVE music, or is it less intense than that? Therapy, a hobby or whatnot?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes.
    Am I IN love with music....ummmmm....hmmmmm.....yes.

next question?

3. this just in: you can love music and still have crappy taste.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I love music. I make my living from it, but I would do it for no money. Music, jazz especially, is a passion that is part of who I am, not just something l enjoy. It's a drive, a compulsion. A mistress.

And I'm nowhere near a Mozart or Mingus. Someday, though, someday.

5. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    loving something also does not mean you can't be shallow either.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup.

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    YES!!!!!!!

8. I LIKE music, but I don't think I'm ready for that kind of commitment yet. ;)

9. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Just like a man....;)

And to answer the question...Yes, I do love music, I think its the only thing that I can relate to of late.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ever since I can remember, I've loved music with an undying passion.

Guess it's true what they say, it soothes the savage beast. :p

As a form of art though, I think music rises above and beyond the reach of all other forms of art. It can be beautiful, tragic, and compelling all at the same time without imagery or words. That's powerful stuff.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't love music, but we moved in together.

12. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    lol

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes, i love music passionately.

14. I love music.

- Wil

(long signatures are so tedious)

15. Yes.

I tell every girlfriend to never make me choose. Every one of them.

They never listen.

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yes i do!

yes bigwill i agree but disagree..
    because its on mtv.. yeah they are just cashing in..
    but if its ya know a indipendent band.. no exposure.. and they write simple songs.. then theres nothing wrong with that. That doesn't say how much they love or dont love music. Sometimes i think we take advantage of how hard it is to write a song worth putting down on record. I have very few. Thats why i write 3 songs a day.. hopefully maybe by may ill have 16 on a record and in a couple record stores and sold to some people on talkbass.
    And thats also why only 12 of them will be originals.. im gonna have 3 or 4 covors on the album , 2 instrumentals and the 10 others will be ..well lyrical.. to say the least. I guess you just gotta figure out what works for you the best. For me, I can play a kirk hammet solo, I can play dream theater stuff(well not much but some stuff, i can play fatal tragedy and glass prison (except the solos). I can play pretty much any peace of music you put in front of my face after about two weeks. As far as recording, I like to keep it simple.. 4 chord. I deffinitly dont stick to root though. I think of the bass and drums being a canvas and the guitar as paint just to give the bass and drums a little more flavor.. and make what im playing on bass sound harder, because it is harder than what im playing on guitar. =X i hope that made sence..
    But i think real bands who have tried HARD and love music to get where they are, even if i dont like there music, they have all my respect!!
    btw has anyone heard of moth!?!? i dig some of there stuff.

17. Yeah, I love music. I look forward to my band's designated practice times at school all week. We strive to play gigs of course, but I'd play every day just to make music.

18. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I love music and have always loved music... Music, will you marry me!!! :D

19. I do love music , but I aint in love with it........[​IMG]

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    BigWig Will, why do you care?

:rolleyes:

Personally I love music and I don't give a **** whose personal "definition" for loving music that I live up to.