Do you love your job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Feb 21, 2006.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    How many of you love your job?

Career counselors and the like seem to encourage this goal but I wonder how many people actually achieve it. Someone once said, "If you love your job you'll never work a day in your life", or something to that effect.

I'm talking about careers here....not your summer part time job at the Corndog Palace in the mall.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Oh yeah, and no gloating Pacman.;)
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I absolutely love my job! Telecommunications Engineer.. Pay's great.. I'm about two minutes from home... Great benefits.. It would take quite a bit to pull me away from it!!
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    What are we talking here? Longhaul transport, local voice switching, wireless, metro fiber rings, DSL/cable/POTS/T1?

I'm also in the industry.
  5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Every once in a while I wish I was a manufacturer's rep or a cable puller and when my union PBX techs have a holiday, I remember the days fondly.
    I truly love what I do!

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    In a word, "yes" to all that ;).. We're an independent telco so we do it all.. Currently running a Siemen's EWSD switch through a Fujitsu FTTC ring. We're about to begin a major upgrade to a full FTTH system.

Edit: Correction, we don't do wireless yet... That's something that's been tossed about though.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Cool. Tomorrow I get FTTH from Verizon (a competitor)...5 megs down for $29/month.

Good luck independent telco brother. I work for a bigger fish but share the fight against the incumbents.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope, I love my wife and kids. :D

I enjoy my job immensely though. The telecom industry is wonderful.

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thanks! We're in a pretty good setup right now inspite of the barrier abolishment; big enough to be lucrative yet small enough to stay under the "Big Guy's" radar.
  12. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Two pomotions in six months. Do mostly easy paperwork and managing stuff. Surf the web especially talkbass most of the day. They are building me my own office. Really good X-mas parties. People I work with are really cool. Cool boss. Yep, I can say that I really love my job. :D
  13. I'm a contractor records manager and it's my job to help the Feds feed a big regulatory database. It just came out, its very quirky, and there's lots of things which have been done wrong with no budget to do them over.

Do I love it? I dunno. I doubt I'll ever love it, but once in awhile I get the pleasure of doing something good for someone. Sometimes that's as much as you can expect.

Now THIS job I might love...
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yup! I get to run acoustic tests on motorcycles. I like motorcycles and I like science. It's a match made in heaven. :D Sometimes I don't like the people I work with, but that's any job.
  15. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    It's day to day for me. I don't hate going to work but I sure do look forward to leaving!
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Today I hate my job, but teaching high school kids is a new and different thing evey day. I may love it tomorrow.
  17. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    land scaping kicks ass. you get to be outside all day, you dont have to shave or be clean. plus you leave your boss back at the nursury, and make fun of him at your leisure.
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    No. I haven't exactly found a real job yet, though. Over a year out of college, I've been underqualified, overqualified, or axed for consideration due to funding issues from every job I've interviewed for in the last year. Bah.
  19. Working retail sucks. But if you ARE going to work retail, try and find one that fits your interest and hobbies. Like me, I'm about to go back to Guitar Center. I know, most of you aren't fans of GC, but there were parts that I really liked about that job. Plus, I tried to be as knowledgable and helpful to my customers as I could. And no, I didn't get involved in that stupid cold calling. Ugh.

As far as loving a job, I don't know if you really can. Every job, no matter how good, is going to involve stressors. Working in a studio, for example. Great, except for the long hours, high volume levels, pressure from every angle to make it sound right, and un-healthy eating habits.

I'm about to embark on a career in law enforcement. This is something that I think I was born to do. Protecting my family, friends, and community is something I swore to do when I was 12 (beginning Boy Scouts) so this fits perfectly. But I know that it's not going to be all fun and car chases. I will have to deal with Domestic Violence situations, meth labs (I am in Oregon, after all) child abuse/rape cases, evictions, the whole shebang. I know going in how negative a job this can be. I just keep telling myself that not everyone is evil, and that I am serving a greater good. Will I love it? Probably not. Will I understand and appreciate my job? You betcha.

Especially if I get my wish of joining K9 unit. You get issued a puppy!! Were else can you work where they give you a great uniform, a badge, a gun, and a puppy?:D

Rock on
  20. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    It depends what I am doing..I work in an advertising agency so I could be working on something really exciting or be stuck with a really boring, repetitive assignment.