Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you lube your neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stephen S, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    How many of you out there lube the neck or strings on your bass? What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Lube the neck? :confused:

I would think it´s generally a bad idea to get some goo on your neck or strings.
    At least I´ve never heard of this.

3. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    !!!
    no...........

but ive heard ppl using baby powder or even *gasp* chalk dust on the baaaack of the neck
    AND THE BACK ONLY!
    :rolleyes:

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    SETUP

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There is a string lube called 'Fast Fret'... Kinda like 'Pam' for guitar players... Not for me, but there you go...

-robert

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Astroglide.....oops wrong forum :D

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    my dad and brother both play guitar and they both swear by it and i tried it a few times but its not for me, it felt like my hand was gonna fall off the fretboard but it might be for sum ppl...

8. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Is that some sort of metaphor:eek: ?

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Fast fret is a combination cleaner/lubrication thing that makes the strings slippery. I have bought one but never made it a habit. If you sweat a lot it prolongs the string life.

Best thing to do is find out who stocks em and how much they are.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't stand that fast fret thingy.
    a clean rag does the job perfectly.

I actually set a high action with thick strings to
    help avoid overplaying, I don't want to go faster.

If you want to play fast, go the good ol' way and eat KFC before the gig :D

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    For the back of the neck I never bothered.

Sometimes before a song with long slides I'd spray some "Finger Ease" on my fingertips. I used to spray the neck but decided I really used a lot less if I just sprayed what needed it- my fingers. It feels like a silicon spray of some sort.

12. Some people use ahem *nose oil* shall we say. utterly filthy, why would i want snot on my bass neck?

So lube eh? does it increase the pleasure of playing? :p

:D:D

Merls

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Nose oil doesn't refer to snot, but the oil on the skin of your face. It is typically heavier on the nose, but you can use the forehead or whereever works for you.

In the winter, the gas furnaces in the Midwest really dry out the air. I have been known to rake my hands on my forehead or nose to add a bit of oil to them when playing.

As for fastfret, it dies out my skin, so I don't use it. I also believe it actually kills strings faster.

Chas

14. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have Kyser/DR.Stringfellow string cleaner and lubricant. I love the stuff, I use it once every 2 weeks on my bass (or whenever needed) and about once every week on my guitars.

15. know what I use on the strings? WD-40! That's right, basically the same thing as finger ease at about 1/10 the cost. Helps keep the strings clean too. Just a little on the left hand right before you play...sometimes my strings get gunked up, and WD-40 helps. I wonder if that's one of their 1000 uses on their web site...hmmm....wd40.com

I dont use anything on the back of the neck, I play Warwicks and they have that 'satin' finish, no need for anything.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Usually, KY-Jelly does it for me, though I just found this new 'bio-glide' stuff which should be more natural and..

..Oh, you mean like GUITAR lubricants! Well.. as you were, gentlemen! I personally prefer something more natural than a geetar but hey, it's a free world.. :p

JMX, are you on my forum too? :D

17. 2 of my guitarists use fats fret.. I cant imagine putting something on the strings. I cant imagine it beign good for the strings.

18. I use thin petroleum jelly. Odourless and tasteless. It totally kills the strings, which is why I use it. :)

Advantages? My fingers love me. Slides are easier and sound better. I can play for longer, more cleanly. Strings last longer because the oil keeps out the air and dirt.

Disadvantages? Have to clean strings thoroughly after every practice session. Oil gets dirty and looks disgusting. Fingerboard gets oil all over it - which I get around by wiping the entire board with the oil, and then wiping it off again. The sound is not as lively as it could be.

Wel, can you imagine a mixture of oils, water, various gunk and acid being good for the strings? Because that's what sweat is.

19. ewwww, I have never felt the need for that, but have had that sticky feeling sometimes. It mostly comes from a profound lack of quality time with my bass though.

I knew a guy years ago that would slap a big handful of lard on his neck before he played. disgusting.

but thinking about it, it has to be absolutely atrocious for your fretboard. I oil my boards lightly each fall to keep it in good shape, but too much of that can cause your fretboard wood to turn to mush. I can't see dumping all kinds of junk on it too.

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Wouldn't your fingers erupt when lighting up? Just a thought.