Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you Luthiers use Teak?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've never seen a bass before with Teak in the ingredients. Which I find odd, because, to my understanding, it is an extremely hard and dense wood. Why isn't Teak used in luthiery?

2. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i second this question, as i have an excellent supply of teak, but haven't built any instruments with it yet. knocking the wood seems to have a decent resonance... maybe the high cost is a deterrent? i'd really like to get opinions from those more edu-ma-cated on this. thanks!

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    My very first bass was all made out of teak. Body, neck and fretboard.

Worked great IMO and I wouldn't mind to use more for bodies.

Peace, JP

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have a nice piece of curly teak that I can't seem to sell to people. I think probably people are too used to seeing it on boats, and for the price you can generally get a piece of cocobolo with wilder figure. I'm using a piece of the flame teak on a prototype that should be done pretty soon. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I saw on a site that was actually for flooring they had a rating system for the stability of wood. teak was given a rating of 1(options were 1-3) as the least stable. I don't know how accurate this was but I just thought I would throw it out there.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    So maybe we (not implying that I am a luthier) can use Teak as a laminate wood. But it's awfully heavy, no? It might not be worth it. But it's certainly beautiful!

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you like it, use it. Try to get FSC certified teak if you can. It's a heavily taxed species.

It's hard to glue and fairly heavy, but people use wenge and cocobolo, and those two are just as heavy if not more.

8. OldDawg

OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a custom guitar made with a teak body, ebony fret board, all brass hardware. Boy I never heard a guitar with so much sustain and clarity. But heavy I couldn't believe how much it weighed.