Do you move around when playing bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jul 15, 2004.

1. No, I don't at all.

2 vote(s)
  2. Sometimes, if I'm really into the song.

18 vote(s)
  3. Yeah, a lot, nothing too crazy.

23 vote(s)
  4. Yeah, a lot, and I do crazy stuff like jumping off amps too!

9 vote(s)
  1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I move around a lot and jump around when I play in my band. I like to slam my head around like those metal guys (headbanging, right?), when really I'm playing ska/reggae and (not hardcore) punk. It's almost pop punk but not really. I've tripped over the PA system speakers a couple of types, cause theyre so small :p. So, do you move around a lot when you play (headbang, jump, etc.)?
  2. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    I walk around a lot when I play :eyebrow: . It probably looks funny from everyone else's perspective, because I just wander all over the place. Other than that, I don't move around too much.
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I like to move around alot, and I headbang, walk around, jump off stuff, jump off the *stage into the crowd* etc... I only stop moving when I sing or when I am doing something especially intricate on bass.

**I do not recomend doing this too often. It can be painful, you get distracted and people get their grubby hands all over your instrument. ;)

Graeme :bassist:
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I love to groove and sway in place when not moving in a specific direction. I always seem to be most comfortable when I am back, and to one side of the drummer. I find this best for connecting since I get a nice, clear line-of-sight between two cymbals. That means that I have to wander up to my mic when it's time to make singing noises. I have gotten into the habit of doing a kind of Cleese-ish silly walk thing both to and from the mic. This works out well since, most of the time, it's my mic stand that gets mowed over by the over-enthusiastic dancing drunk person
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I groove in my seat, but I tend not to move MUCH when I'm standing, as in, I don't walk around too much. I do groove in place though.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I answered the poll according to what I do "most of the time". If you'd asked "have I ever", I'd have had to say "all of the above". Depends on the gig. For big shows, I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't jump off a cab every now and then. For little jazz things over at Mr. B's, I don't move hardly at all. :)
  7. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    The size of the stage makes all the difference to me as far as moving around goes. Kind of like goldfish growth. The more room I get, the more I move around.

I also notice that changes in equipment affect my movement. When I used my P-Bass on stage, I was all over the place. Now that I have the expensive Modulus, I'm not as much into jumping around and such.
  8. my moves on stage are rather limited, there's always some of those guitarist standing in the way :D Never actually understood why they were in the band :p
  9. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    If the songs: got groove yep, if it's a "energetic" song yep, if it helps people enjoy themselves yep and if it looks entertaining on stage yep :)
  10. I groove to the song or headbang, and maybe jump, but I don't wander too far onstage.
  11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I really get moving if the particular song moves me. If I can *feel* the song, I'm gone :bassist: I know there are others here that know some tunes you play you just can't help but move to it.

I currently play in a punk band. When i first joined up, I didn't move much at all. I have always been a metalhead and it didn't feel right playing punk. Now, I have found my groove in the band and can get really crazy. I think I freak out the other guys sometimes, LOL!

I also think if you really feel it and show it, the crowd feels it. Why listen to someone who doesn't even get into their own music? Look at the greats like Wooten and others. They may not be stage diving but you can see it on their faces they are totally into it, or atleast they sell it pretty good!

My .02, I'm done! :p
  12. During band practice we sometimes take turns doing jumps off my 4x10.
  13. All I really do is bob my head and tap my heel to the beat witht he occasional sqat to the beat, lol, though my drummer is trying to convince me to do the Les Claypool Stomp, especially when we play "Tommy the Cat".
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I usually just sorta stand there, or move somewhat, Sometime when i eff up and get nervous i sorta pace around in a little circle which usually gets me dizzy.
  15. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i walk around all over, i pry get more excercise than most people just by walkin around when i play, but nothin to extreme like jumpin or headbangin, i like to concentrate on my playin more so i can hear if i make a mistake and improve on it
  16. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    My band became accustomed to moving around on small stages since we practice in such a small area. I've backed up into the PA speakers a couple of times. And I always think the guitarists neck on his guitar is gonna clothesline me.

Yeah I noticed that think about changes in equipment too. But actually I move around more with my more expensive bass! My other bass is very neck heavy. My jazz bass is pretty light and doesn't have a 35 inch scale neck!
  17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i go all out on stage
  18. After watching the Vandals DVD I keep getting really tempted to jump on top of the drummer's kick drum and do some wacked jump off it onto my cab or somethin.
  19. Depends on the band. One band is country/blues/classic rock. I move around a lot, but theatrics would be a little out of place.

Other band is working up a KISS tribute show. So, I guess spitting blood and fire while interacting with the audience in as filthy a manner as possible qualifies for something doesn't it?
  20. I hope no one else ever does the following...

I saw this band last night called the Barking Spiders, and they're kind of an '80s Hair Metal cover band, and their bassist did a frickin' pirouette!! It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen since watching Yngwie Malmsteen do kicks and twirl his guitar around his shoulder every 30 seconds on the new G3 DVD lol