Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you name your basses?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, Dec 22, 2003.

1. YES

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. NO

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. And what name(s) have you used? Relevant anecdotes encouraged.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sort of. When my bass is playing well, I call it "Baby". When it isn't, I call it "That cheap-assed worthless piece of ****". Does that count?

You should be glad FOGHORN isn't around to see this thread. :)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my warwick 6 is called the Congressman. my jazz is called the bitch.

i have my old lady calling them by name as well.

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yep, I named my bass Lusa. It's a character from a book called "Prodigal Summer."

Jason

5. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    My Stingray 5 is called "Betty" for is kind of '80 style colors.. she's burnt Apple

My 2x is called "Mimi" because it was the name of my two grandmother who love to sing and who fought against sickness and life...
    It kind of remind me their courage when i continue my learning of this amazing instrument.

isn"t that sweet enough!? :D :bawl:

6. Aw, C'mon. Enquiring minds want to know!:rolleyes:

7. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Juliette (Red Peavey 5-String)
    Grimace (MIA PURPLE Fender Jazz)
    Enoch (Upright)
    Woody (Upright)

8. Gender issues?

9. Klelewon

Klelewon Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just bought my first DB last Monday. After getting her home, I immediately thought about what to name her. Haven't done it yet, but I'm sure I will.

I have 12 Guitars, 6 Bass Guitars and 1 EUB. None of which have names. I never thought about it. I doubt if they'll get names.

But my Double bass will probably get a name...It just seems natural. Odd I know. :meh:

Klelewon

10. Hummm,
    Ok I`ll bite:
    100yr Double Bass= Victoria
    Keith Roscoe 6-st = Monique
    Crap 6-st= Norma Jean "after Marilyn Monroe"
    Crap 4-st= O`l Red

Yeah I`ve always named them. Kinda a bonding thang man..:cool:

Dave

11. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA

Not at all.

Enoch was a man in the Bible who lived 365 years. He walked with God and he never died. My upright is named after him. The name seemed to fit, seeing as my bass is made of wood (knock knock).:cool:

The other one, Woody, was named for the Toy Story character, and again the name just seemed to fit for some reason.:p

12. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

You might be surprized at what FOGHORN sees.

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I confess.

On the first gig where I played my Westover upright -- which has a carved lady's head -- we went upstairs on the break. There, right above where I put the bass down, was a sign that said, "Nicole." The name has stuck.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My current DB is usually referred to as "the girlfriend". It's up for replacement in the next coupla months, so the next one will probably inherit the name. It's more a generic term for any bass that routinely gives my wife any competition for my affections.

15. No, but my bow quiver's named Nigel.

16. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA

I bought my bow quiver in a corporate music store in Phoenix (not GC). It was a miscelaneous item in the store, no price tag/UPC. I looked at my receipt when I left, and they had typed in "Drummer stick bag" for the description!:D

17. Ray Parker once posted how Ed Fuqua came to his gig and sat in, and Ray said how great it was to hear Ed play Isabella. Not knowing any better, I went to look up "Isabella" in my Real Book.

18. My basses name is Ruby, she is a beutiful red mahogany red colour. She's gorgeous! (even my wife thinks so)

Paul Arkell

19. My basses name is Ruby, she is a beutiful red mahogany red colour. She's gorgeous! (even my wife thinks so)

Paul Arkell