Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you name your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, May 2, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

BB King has Lucille, and although I can't think of any other famously named instruments, do you guys and gals name your basses? Or am I the only knuckle head?

Mine:1. Ibanez Lawsuit Fender Jazz: "The Flyin' Lion" I bought it used and the original owner nailed a metal oval with a jaguar with wings inside it. But the Flyin' Lion almost rhymes so... Oh, the metal object makes the bass too masculine to be a girl, so it's a he.
    2. 1985 Guild Pilot bass: Heather: Named her after a girl I liked in high school.
    3. 2003 Roscoe SKB-3006: Abelonia: It's a beautiful instrument, worthy of an uncommon but not cheesey name. Ever see the Godfather? My Abelonia is not as olive "skinned" as Michael Corleone's, but equally as beautiful. Besides, my wife wouldn't allow us naming either of our daughters Abelonia.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sure, I name my basses.

The blue one currently in my avatar is called "The Blue Bass". The green custom Jazz is my "Green One". My Peavey Palaedium is "Red Bass". The Tacoma is "Big Acoustic".

Wait... I guess I don't name them. Except in a Stanely Clarke kind of way.....

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I can't think of any good names for mine. A good instrument name needs a story behind it. For example BB King was playing in a club and a fight broke out over a waitress (I think) named Lucille. Somehow this caused a fire and everyone left. Then BB King ran back into the flames to get his guitar and nearly got killed. He named his guitar Lucille to remind himself not to do something stupid like that again.

4. Nope. I don't name them.

5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    No, but my fiance gave me this...

http://www.lamarjonz.com/Bass/RBass.htm

Her last name is Sun, and we both had Sun tatoos before meeting each other, so I have been thinking about getting a sun inlay from Larry Robinson. Might call it the sun machine after that. Or maybe something less gay...

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    As much as I love my bass.... LOVE IT... I doubt it will ever have a name. That is, not until is starts cooking me breakfast and paying my bills.

:D

No... really.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I guess I am the only knucke head.

8. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    My basses are always female. I find that the case with any of my instruments. I may not have names for them, but they are DEFINATELY female.

--Matthew

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're all known as the shiznit.

Unless it's a boat, I get creeped out when people refer to inanimate objects as "her."

10. Named my MIA Jazz Caroline, after the daughter of our singer found my bass in her case sitting out side on the front porch. Had a little to much fun at the rehearsal and left my baby there totally alone untill Caroline saw her and rescued her.

11. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    My Jazz is named "Thumper" after the rabbit in the Bambi story.

My fretless Ray is named "Christy" after the chick that rear-ended my pickup. I bought it with the check from her insurance company.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've named only one of mine. My '75 reissue is named "Momma".

13. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Jamerson called his bass "the Funk Machine"... I guess thats naming it :p and Jaco's "Bass of Doom"

14. Ibanez GSR190 - Lenny

first named that poped into my head the day I got it.

15. i name mine sweetie because my g/f thinks i love it more than i love her....:p

she may be right. ;)

16. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    'kay, I remember this one time :) I got a gorgeous acoustic bass as a gift from my whole family, loved it with MASSIVE sentimental value thrown in.
    I treated really well and babied the hell out of, till one day I was carrying it from one room and it clipped the corner of a table giving a tiny tiny dent and I freaked out like it was my child that just got hurt!!!!

that was a bucket of cold water. Now they're just objects to me (albeit with sentimental value in the case of the acoustic), no matter if it gets dents or scratches it still sounds great and plays well.
    Things are made to be used.....don't get too attached to them, IT'S JUST A BASS.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would, but they already had names when I got them.

18. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have one with a sticker on it that says WWJD that one's called Jesus...or just J C and one that I call Lucy.
    I have no names for any of my three guitars, or fender copy bass.

19. that's "Apollonia" so it's a damn good thing you didn't name your daughters that, or you'd be no better than the illiterate mooks that name their kids "Antwan" and such.

but to answer the question: no.

20. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just realized a good name for my bass: Aragorn. Yes, that one. I just think it's good to name inanimate objects, since many actually do have some sort of percievable personality. Just leaving basses nameless suggests they are just a simple tool, which could be the case, but whats the fun in that? Besides, BB King is cool, and if he can name his instruments, so can anyone else. If He never had a guitar named lucille, would it still be cool?