1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you need a HF horn with a 15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cutty, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I bought a used Ashdown cab with a blown speaker model ABM-115-500,i was thinking of adding a HF horn to the cab along with a new speaker,question for you guys,do you think it's vital to add a HF horn?OR will the cab have enough high end response with just the speaker fitted?i'm going to use a EV speaker with the freq response suited to the size of the cab,the Ashdown one is c+++P,this is the only cab i will be using,please give me your thought's,thanks.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I certainly don't.
    It's up to you and what kind of sound you're after.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I wouldn't need one - but my tastes aren't necessarily your tastes. I prefer a small cone driver if anything for higher frequencies.

4. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I don't slap much,more old school tone,but do like lower mid type of sound also.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The only HF horn I'd use with a 15" driver in a 2-way cab would be a 2" compression driver on a horn that's about as big as the woofer. Like this:

[​IMG]

Alex

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I do it by customer request only ...

:meh: ... Never had a customer request one!

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I guess I'm one of the few that like the combination, at least the 15 and tweet in my Roland DB700. Very sweet sounding highs when I slap.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Only if you use one that will work to the requisite 1.5kHz maximum crossover point. Those used by most manufacturers cross at 3.5kHz or higher, leaving at least an octave wide hole in the useful off-axis response.

9. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Ive been looking round at things, and i may be hugely wrong, but is there a need for horns\tweeters in use with bass, doesnt frequencies produced by bass barely go into treble (2khz?). and if most decent bass speaker sive seen can do this, why are horns tweeters still being used.

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    6 to 8kHz is more like it. But the 1kHz to 8kHz range is best served with a cone mid-driver, not a horn tweeter.
    They're the least expensive option.

11. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    But surely can we actually hear into that range, i dont know.

And on the treble thing i said, are you saying 6-8khz is treble or what a bass guitar can produce.

12. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    What a bass can produce, unless you're running buckers, flats, fingerstyle, with the high EQ rolled off. Even an old fart like me can still hear 12kHz very well.

13. Bill, can you get a piezo that can dip down to that 1.5kHz range? That way he wouldn't need any crossover stuff or be worried about an ohm change, right? (Though I guess wouldn't be the best option.... .)

Jimbob

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Piezos aren't happy going that low, nor do they work well singly.

15. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    In order to go down low enough to be a good match with a 15" woofer, you'd need a fairly large horn - one that is comparable in size (at least in the horizontal dimension) to a 15" woofer. Otherwise, the horn will not load the driver down low enough, so you'll still end up with a sag in the frequency response. In my opinion, not just any large horn will work well - it should have certain characteristics, which can be hard to find in an off-the-shelf unit. And in addition to the large horn, you'd need a pretty beefy compression driver to operate down that low (1.2 kHz ballpark). Finally, a good crossover for a horn-loaded compression driver is considerably more complex to design and build than for a direct-radiator cone midrange.

In my opinion, adding a cone midrange is a more practical approach in most cases.

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The main expense is the crossover, which has to be 4th order with relatively fragile compression drivers. Cone mids are cheaper than compression drivers, and can get by with only second order filtering, but they still cost twice what a cheapo Foster tweeter and a 4kHz high-pass filter do, so that's why they're ubiquitous.

17. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Depending on the cab and amp size either an Eminence Deltalite 2515, Kappalite 3015 or 3015LF and Alpha 8MRA with a PXB2 800 crossover. Forget the EV fifteen, totally obsolete.