1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you need a truss rod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Well, do you?

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    No
    Do you want the neck to be straight or adjustable?
    Unless high end, yes

There have been some graphite and mutli lam wood necks that did not have a traditional truss rod that would maintain a fixed position.

3. Correct, and even some of the graphite necks "fail". You only need a trussrod if you want to be able to adjust the neck. I dont know do you NEED a steering wheel on your car?

4. It's not so much about adjusting the neck- it's helping the wood to provide stability against the force the strings are exerting on it.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Uprights don't have trussrods.

6. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Do you need an adjustable bridge? Do you need pickups with adjustable screws? Seems to be a simplafarusimp thread.

7. Even if all necks were graphite, I'd still want to have some flexibility to adjust it to my usual feel. Living in an area with very humid summers and bone dry winters, the ability to adjust the truss rod is pretty important.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My son's upright had to be exchanged for another due to a warped neck that made it unplayable.

I have a couple of Silvertone/Danelectro basses from the early 60's that have a nonadjustable metal bar trussrod. None of them have ever had any neck issues or require seasonal adjustments. All my other instruments have adjustable trussrods and need seasonal adjustments.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i do

10. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    My Warwick needs a new truss rod.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    [​IMG]

Wishbasses don't have trussrods by default.

Whatever that's worth.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    True, but an eb with a neck that thick would be pretty uncomfortable. Not to mention neck heavy.

13. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    A truss rod is one of those things you may never use, but it's a really good idea to have one.

Just like a prophylactic, if you needed one, and didn't have one, I bet you'd be pretty pissed.

14. The long contact of the fingerboard of an EB also lends itself to more expansion and contraction.

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Hold a Louisville Slugger in your lap, anchor one end against your leg, and with your other hand, try and bend the bat. That's why Wishbasses don't need trussrods, they are so freakin thick. I think at last count, after over 1000 made, Wish claims something like three have had necks fail. My 6 WB's range in age from 1 to 5 years, the necks don't move, it's a matter of mass. Truss rods are a must in most normal size necks. Even though I didn't have to touch the rod on my 69 Jazz bass for about 30 years, when I did, I was glad it had one :)

16. If the neck is stout enough and made well then no, a truss rod isn't needed.

Here's a late 1960's Kent without a trussrod, straight as an arrow and fun to play:
    [​IMG]

17. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    My Zon doesn't have a truss rod, I have had it for over 10 years and the neck hasn't moved.