Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you need to oil tuning pegs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Do you need to oil your tuning pegs / machine heads? I have MIA jazz and precision basses so the keys are not totally exposed.

However, on my guitars, they are totally sealed except for a tiny hole in the back (for a WD-40 tube?)

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't, mainly because lube will attract dust, dirt and grime. The only maintenence I perform on my tuners, is cleaning the keys once-in-a-while (I've sprayed 'em with clear coat to keep them from pitting and rusting on me) and making sure the screw that holds the gear to the back of the shaft is snug. I've also replaced the screws that hold the tuners to the headstock with stainless steel wood screws and "glued" 'em on with clear nail polish.

I don't think you ever need to lube sealed tuners (like the ones on your g*****s), but if you decide it's necessary, I would not recommend WD-40. Go to your local bicycle shop and see if you can get a hold of a product called Bike Aid. It contains graphite and is applied with a long, steel tube (it looks kind of like a long syringe). The reason I say avoid the WD, is because there are situations where it can do more harm than good.

EDIT: I think I remember lubing my tuning gears once time. If I remember correctly, I probably used electric razor spray lube.

3. Yay! No extra maintenance. Thanks.

4. WD-40 encourages rust. Cut open an empty can sometime, and the entire inside will be rusted up.

I made the mistake of treating the chrome sissy bar on my hog with WD-40, and rusted the crap out of it.

WD-40 is useful for breaking loose frozen parts. Apply a true oil afterward. I'd think a super thin coating of Lubriplate would be nice on the gears, but would probably attract dust. The graphite sounds like a good solution because it is dry.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yep. I lubed my throttle cables with it and within a few weeks, the return cable rusted and broke. I was told the reason for that, is that it doesn't repel moisture, it hangs on to it.

Also, the lube I mentioned above (Bike Aid) contains molybdenum, not graphite. Sorry.