Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you notice the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Antipop, Oct 17, 2002.

1. When I go to a gig, either a random one or someone I know, I tend to listen to the bass more than anything else... is this just me?

2. No. I do this too. I single out all the instruments, and analyze the level of competence, particularly the bass. We're bassists. It's natrual!
    :)

3. Same here! I try to find what & watch what the bassist is doing..

:cool:

4. YOU MEAN I'M SANE!!!!!!! (for a bassist):D

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I guess to a degree you're sane. ;) I tend to try to figure out what the bass player is doing before I notice anything else.

6. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Yea, I tend to do that too. I think it's just normal since my drummer listens to the drums first and my guitarists listen to the guitars first and of course I listen to the bass first:D !

7. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I do, the same thing. I don't play bass, but my b/f does. I will listen to the radio and strain to pick up the bass then I tend to analyze it...:rolleyes: :p

8. me too. I think musicans tend to listen more to the instrument that they play.
    I always see dummers tappin there legs and slappin there knees with blank expressions on their face when they listen to music.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Like wilks says, it's what musicians tend to do. I usually find myself concentrating on just the piano player. However to develop as a musician, it might benefit you more to listen to the other instruments closely too - even if they're not instruments you play. Just a thought.

10. Yeah I do this alot as well. And if for some reason I can't hear the bass...I get REALLY pissed off! It's almost a personal offense to me to have a band and not have a solid bassist.

Personally I can't stand bands that don't have a solid bassist. Creed comes to mind, it's no wonder their stuff sounds like the lead singer is getting his balls caught in a meat grinder...they don't have the bottom end to keep them grounded.

Note: Metallica doesn't count for the above statement because they, unlike Creed are actually searching for a bassist.

There's a fine line between loving your instrument and insanity....I think I passed it after I bought my second bass. It was definately lost after my third bass purchase.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My mates band has an awsome bass player, and when they play this certain song with a slap intro, i stare at him., and try and figure our how he is doing it. :)

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I do this too! The first thing I notice is the bass.:)

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah same here.. I notice the bass, the tone, and the player..

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's what I do. I check the whole sound out, then the bass player, then the guitars, then the drums, and the bass interspersedly throughout the proccess.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I do this too. Whether it be @ a club/coffee house or if it's Show Choir or Marching Band. The people in my section expect it now. :D thats all

16. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    man, ever since ive started to play bass (goin on a year now) i can't listen to music like i used to. I pick apart all the rythems, instruments, and i comment on all the tight melodic changes (or not so tight:rolleyes:) I try to tell myself this is a good change, but i now dont have a style of music that i like. i am now basing what i listen to on how talented the band is. before, i listened to blink 182, and alot of other basic stuff like that. now i like to listen to alot of jazz, choral arangements, and then alot of just weird bands that arent typical of what i used to like.

i am just wondering if i have lost my musical-styleistic ear, or gained one!

slicks

17. Uh oh, I'm a bassist, guitarist, and drummer! What do I listen to first???

Eh, I'll listen to the actual song first. It's most important. Then I'll break it down, bass, drums, then guitar.