Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you own a beach house? Do you rent it out?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Aug 31, 2003.

1. yes i own one but don't rent it out

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. yes i own one and i do rent it out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was down the shore this past week, and we rented a beach house. so i was just wondering how many TBers own a beach house, and if you own one, do you rent it out during the summer? (or part of the summer)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No i dont own one. If i did, i would definitely rent iit out though.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i live a couple of blocks from the beach in an apartment that i own. does that count????

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    We have a beach house, but don't rent it out. Part or all of my family is down there at least every other weekend. We have alot of family from out of town, too, that use it rather often.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Oh Yeah! I'm 15 minutes from the Ocean. Many times I get a nice salt smelling breeze... but I'm far enough out to not worry about the crowds.

While growing in North Jersey my folks owned a lagoon front home (we had the SeaRay in the back yard) in Beach Haven West, on the mainland side of the bridge to Long Beach Island. We didn't rent it out... but most of my extended family would use it when we didn't. We'd even do winter holidays 'down the shore'. We'd spent soo much time here growing up I moved here in my mid 20's. :cool:

Clay, Where'd ya go? I'm just west of the Seaside Heights Causeway Bridge (rt37 - GSP exit 80ish).

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    we were in ocean city

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I don't have a beach house but I lived really close to teh beach. The pepole tha do have them and rent tehm out make a killing tough.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool, the parents of one of my best friends live 20 minutes or so from the Ocean City NJ beach. I usually swing by and say Hello when we head down to the Cape May County Zoo (great day trip BTW)

9. I don't have a beach house, but I can see the ocean with a view of Catalina Island from my bedroom window..I'd rent out my bedroom if i could..I have a 68 VW bus/camper that I can park at one of my favorite surf spot for free and be closer to the water than any beach house in California:)[​IMG]

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Fetch - I would LIVE in that van half the year! That break looks SOO beautiful and clean! Stupid storms around the Gulf have kept us from having a clean break in months. It's been so sloppy and nasty. :( That's just beautiful. How's the skim around there? That's just about all I've been able to do since April or so.

11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah it is a great day trip, i go to teh zoo whenever i'm down there

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    fetch - that is an awesome picture. is it for real, or did it come out of a magazine or something? i want to be there. now!

13. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well, i have a cabin that is right on a lake, so does that count???

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Beach cabins can be a lot of work to maintain... and here on this part of the Gulf, at least, beach erosion is a constant threat. Rental cabins command a pretty healthy price, though, and tend to stay booked pretty steady through the summer.

Yeah, Fetch - that *is* an awesome photo... :)

15. Joe..that picture is for real. I took the photo. thats my van and dog ,,the spot is Tamarack in Carlsbad Ca..the parking lot is right smack on the beach..it was near high tide so the water was extra close to the rocks. here's a picture of it at low tide..

SoComSurfing..yea the water was really clear that day. it's a ok surf spot. I mostly like it there because I can keep a eye on my van while I am surfing..skim boarding wouldn't be to good there because of the rocks on the beach..the best skimming spots are up in Laguna or the wedge in NewPort beach,,or any other south facing beaches with a steep beach and a nice back wash..[​IMG]