Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you own a Wal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    I really want to get a Wal sometime soon. If you own one, where did you buy it from? What is the best way to buy one? I've called up Bass Central, and it seemed they new a pretty lot about them, but I need major cash if i consider customizing my own through them, or should i wait til one goes up on ebay??? What do you think is the best way?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Best way? buy one, then give to me. used ones are cheaper,,, but not NEW. depends on what you want. do you WANT to wait for one to pop on ebay? outbid all others? hope it isnt messed up? or get one new, right from the wal. It all depends see. I'd say, if you got the bucks, get a new one, BUT TRY IT FIRST, i love them, but wals are not everyones bag of tea.

3. There is only one place to even think about buying a Wal, and that is Bass Central. Talk to Mark or Gard, they will treat you right. And no I'm not being paid to say this.

John

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Well, if you are in Pennsylvania, then a trip to central Florida to play a Wal may cost you some money. Compare that travel price to the price you would pay for going to England. Why England? That's where Wals are made, and you may actually save some cash if you buy one there. It all depends on how serious you are about getting one.

Of course, it'll be tough to test out a custom bass, particularly ones that haven't been built yet. ;)

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    yup got four of 'em and a door too!:D

6. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    are there any other places other than bass central that sell wals? can i buy a wal direct from his place in england?

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No. :(

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've owned two (an '84 & '85), my first was stolen and I promptly replaced it with another.
    I dealt directly with Electric Wood, and will do so again (when finances allow). But if you don't want to wait to have one made for you, you can check out Bass Central, I understand they occasionally get shipments in, and that way you also have the opportunity to try it out first.
    Good Luck!..

Edit: Oh sorry, here's a link:
    http://walbasses.homestead.com/index.html

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Here's a pic of the one that I do still have:

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No. :)

11. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    zomby, did you buy yours because it was in stock, or did you custom order yours?

does anyone have a preference between the wood, and body style (4 string, fretted).

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I think that all have mahogany bodies. I'm not sure how thick the tops and backs (if applicable) are, so I'm not sure how much they would factor in.

Personally, I like the Mach III body style, but that's just a visual thing. I haven't played enough of 'em recently to give you a rundown on the feel.

13. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
  14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Right - all on mahogany bodies :) (those are just facings)

15. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    my bad;)

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Mine were "made to order" for me, nothing out of the ordinary (just using the standard "template"), and using wood choices to suit my sonic and asthetic tastes.

When I bought mine it was the only body style available (they hadn't yet come out with the five and six string models). Incidentally though, I only play 4-string basses and I think that the "Mach I" 21 fret, four string model (the one I have) is the classiest looking of the lot. I do believe that the Mach II and Mach III body styles probably have a little bit better balance (though i've never played one), not that mine doesn't balance good.

I'm pretty partial to the American Walnut facings (like on mine) and I prefer Ebony for the fingerboard on a fretless.
    I have an extra "fretted Ebony" neck for mine which I had on it for about 6 years, but I've since changed back to it's original fretless neck. When I can have another Wal made for me I think it will be a fretted Rosewood Mach I, and I'll probably stick with American Walnut for the facings.

Here's a pic of mine while it was sporting it's fretted ebony neck:

17. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i was talking to bass central and he told me pete no longer makes fretted ebony fret boards because he had a problem with the frets "popping out". is it me, or does it seem like most wals always have rosewood fret boards? why do you like the american walnut face?

thanks

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Pete does usually use Rosewood on the fretted basses, but I'm pretty sure that he would still make one with Ebony or even Birdseye Maple if you were having one built for especially for you.
    I'm sure that most of the fretless fingerboards are Ebony.
    I like the Walnut for it's looks, feel, and sound. I've had mine for a very long time and it has really grown on me, and the pics that I take don't do it justice at all.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No.

20. Yes. I bought mine used from Bass Palace. Used ones are hard to find but they are out there. I understand that there is quite a waiting period on new orders since Pete's operation is very small.