1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Own Alice Cooper - School's Out?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yes

43.9%
  2. No

56.1%
  3. Gutter Cat vs. the Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK...Summer of '72, I recall seeing "Alice Cooper" in the bins at the NEX where I bought LPs. I freely admit, I assumed Alice Cooper was a "Folk" singer (ala Joni Mitchell, et al). No Internet & I did not even know what Circus magazine was at the time.
    In August, we take our annual Summer vaca to Philly...my older, (still)hipper cousins have a Circus magazine laying about; Alice Cooper (the band) is on the cover. That's Alice Cooper?!?!? My cousin sez the band is named Alice Cooper...but the singer also goes by that name. What the Hell?!?

Anyway, he & I walk to the nearest Record Store...I buy School's Out & am one happy 14-year old.
    Side _1 killed me...every song.
    Had the bass itch, but not yet started playing (i.e. owning) a bass yet. "Gutter Cat" & "Blue Turk" just seemed impossible.
    To this day, that LP has an 'it' factor for me. The production...every instrument sits right in the mix.
    From what I've heard, they never sounded that good live, though. :)

That LP got loaned around a lot back then...somehow, it always found its way back home.
    Still have it...with pink panties.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    They were a great live band at that time IMHO, but polished production values on the music side weren't high on their priority list. Remember, they were getting compared to guys like Iggy Pop before that album came out. [​IMG]

Don't own the album, but it was around most of the places I lived during all of the 70s, pretty much.

3. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    I grew up in the Detroit suburbs. I can't not own record.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I own all seventies releases by Alice Cooper. School's Out is one of my favorites. I mean, I like Killer better, but that's because it's, well killer.

Really great stuff.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've had it, need to get it again for old times sake one of these days. I saw Alice Cooper a bunch in the early 70's and played some stuff in a few early bands.

6. veebass

veebass

Mar 27, 2014
    Australia
    I have Schools Out- still with panties, and Killer, of course.
    Huge albums!! For me they and Trash are the standouts.

7. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I listened to this a lot in college.

Remember the Coop.

(Just for time reference though--it wasn't a current album at that time. I've always tended to listen to older stuff)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    Nope, but I do own several other Alice cooper LP's.

9. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Loved the single when it first came out. Bought the album fairly recently and was pretty much underwhelmed by the rest of the tracks.

The only Alice Cooper album that works for me as an album (and not a really good single or two plus a load of filler) was Muscle Of Love and that's probably only because a friend of mine played it all the time when I was young and impressionable.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    On Vinyl and CD.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I was on vacation in Pensacola, FL in the summer of 1972 with my uncle where my brother was stationed in the U.S. Navy. The song School's Out was all over the radio. I was about 2 months shy of my 16th birthday and I was already playing bass in a band and played Eighteen by Alice Cooper. I bought the album in July in Florida and had to fly home with it in my suitcase and hoped it would not warp into a black vinyl tortilla chip. Anyway, the record survived the trip (white panties and all) and I still have it. Played it a lot back in the day and eventually learned the song.

12. I have it on vinyl along with Love it to Death, Killer, Billion Dollar Babies, Muscle of Love, Welcome to my Nightmare, and A.C. Goes to Hell. As you can tell - I was a huge A.C. fan, and he really helped a lot of kids with frustrations - it was a time when your parents just hated R & R ... like mine. I have to admit - I loved how they just hated A.C., Black Sabbath, and Led Zep. :banghead:

I got to see A.C's. Welcome to my Nightmare in the Seattle Kingdome. A huge thumbs up for Alice Cooper. :thumbsup: