Do you own and play a Hoffner style bass? Likes/dislikes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 6, 2004.

1. I am wanting to buy a semi-hollow bass, and have always been attracted to the Hoffner style bass. If you own and play one, what kind do you have, and what are your likes and dislikes about it?
  2. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I would try a search for hofner, should come up with some good threads. But since I never posted on those ones, I'll post now.

My aunt has one, and I've played on it a bit. Narrow narrow string spacing. Narrower than a J or P. Really tight. Did I mention it has narrow string spacing? The nature of the bridge on my aunt's (haven't played many, not sure if it's true for all) is kinda fragile. Other than that, really vibey bass, decent tone.

Personally, I would look at other semi-hollows. The Epiphone Jack Cassady has been recommended on this board.
  3. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Don't like Hofner's. A friend of mine used to own one. He swore by it, and he let me try it. I hated the feel of the neck. IMO it felt like a broom stick. Hofner makes a big deal about Sir Paul being a player, but according to Mac himself, he originally wanted a Precision, but he could not find one that was left handed. But hey, try one out, some guys love those things!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is a special place in my heart for Hofners, first off they are a one trick dog they do their thumps but dont look for variety in tone. They are difficult instruments to maintain, adjustments and intonation are difficult unless you really know what you are doing. I will say they get as close to the upright tone then i have ever heard on an electric bass.