1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Own Boston - Boston?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Yes

67.1%
  2. No

31.4%
  3. Peas & Carrots

1.4%
  1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Do You Own Boston - Boston?

When this album came out, I was at a local record/stereo store and bought it based solely on the album cover without ever hearing it first. When I took it home and played it, I was blown away since it did not sound like anything else at the time and every song was good.

2. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    I heard it all the time in high school; saw 'em live (w/Brad on vocals); played More Than A Feeling in the first band I was ever in. But never owned any of their albums.

hover likes this.
  3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    FM radio took care of me ever having to physically owning it, back in the day. Great record tho. Every song a hit, practically.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sound was far ahead of its time - so clean. Great songs.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I had the album when it first came out.
    One of the best debut albums of all times.
    But yeah - It's been played to death on the radio over the decades.
    I think every song on it received plenty of airplay. That's how strong the entire LP was.
    My wife saw them on their tour for that record and said they were terrible...

6. spanndrew

spanndrew

Oct 14, 2013
    Atlanta, Ga
    One of the albums that got me into music when I was a kid.

7. Tet

Tet

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Georgia
    One of the few "played to death" records that I am still not sick of, and may never be!

8. I owned the vinyl, loved it.

9. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    I was in the hospital when this came out. All my friends kept telling me about this great new album I just had to hear.

I heard it and hated it. I still do. Over produced insipid songs and the kind of passionless music I have never liked. They belong with Journey, Styx, and REO

Bisounourse, jthisdell and JimK like this.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've always said that Boston basically has one song (i.e. all their songs sound the same). Lucky for them, it's a pretty decent one. However, I don't own this one.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No...this came out during my Jazz Nazi-daze.
    Many friends owned it +, like mentioned, FM radio played the snot out of it.
    I have gone back & bought stuff I missed from that time (just added a 5-pack set of The Cars this week)...never really considered picking up anything Boston.

That said, Tom Scholz did a masterful job.
    I recently read Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business...in it, there is talk about Scholz & the subsequent Boston albums...and how they were not really given a chance to succeed like the debut.

12. Own it, love it. Classic rock at its finest.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It was their best album. Still holds up. Do NOT try and cover the songs unless you have really great singers. Don't Look Back was basically the same album again, and I never really listened to the others.

But that debut was phenomenal.

kcole4001 likes this.
  14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    fff = Fortissimo!
    Why don't you tell us how you really feel!
    :)

I'm with you on Journey, Styx, & REO...although I have recently picked up the 1st 2 Journey albums...more progressive & loose than their Perry-era.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I listened to the first Journey album at the recommendation of a drummer friend. I was blown away by how un-Journey-like it was.

JimK likes this.
  16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Do not own it.
    I too was in my Jazz-Nazi days back then.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    And so wildly overplayed.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I always thought the latter albums to be un-Journey-like.
    :)

Journey was ex-Santana members, Gregg Rollie (IMO, a very underrated musician) & Neil Schon's project.
    IIRC, Aynsley Dunbar was the original drummer.

elgecko likes this.
  19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I would've thought the same had I not been bombarded by Steve Perry era "Journey" as an impressionale youth.

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yes! There are a lot of albums in my collection I wouldn't have gone out and bought, but did so to learn songs for a gig in the pre-youtube days. There are a lot of bands I came to appreciate through the years by learning their stuff and seeing craft I might have missed otherwise.