Do you own both 4 and 5 string Fender Jazzes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Aug 25, 2004.

1. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My main gigging bass is currently an Ernie Ball SR5, but I also play an American Vintage '75 Jazz RI.

While I LOVE the sound out of the Fender 4... I don't dig the tone of the SR5 as much... too middy (or muddy) in comparison to the Jazz.

My local dealer doesn't ever have any Fender 5's in stock for me to try out...

SO... question to those of you who own 4 and 5 string Jazzes (especially American Reissue or Custom jobs)... do the 5 strings retain the "Jazz" tonality? Or do 5 strings natually change the "equation" and therefore, the tone?
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have a 4 string Jaco sig which is essentially a fretless jazz, and an RB5 Fender which is essentially a super 5 string jazz. I am able to get the jazz sound out of the RB5 (through selections of the pickups in the jazz position), of course its a different sound than the Jaco sig (which is fretless), other than that its very close. (This comparison is both in passive mode).
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own 7 fourstring jazz basses and a RB5. :cool:
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Weird. I'm prolly going to end up with a MIA Jazz, and then fix up my MIM Jazz and tune it BDAD.
  5. The relic, or the regular model?
  6. I played a MIA 5 Jazz a long time ago and it definitely sounded as vibrant as a 4 stringer. The feel is different, and it has quite wide string spacing, but the tone is there. Very similar to the 4.
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    regular one. (I don't believe in paying extra, I can destroy my bass just fine on my own when playing thank you very much :D )
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

5 vintage Fenders, all four string of course

56P, 66P, 66J, 73J, 73P

None get gigged

My Sadowsky's smoke 'em all

9. no offence, but why the hell would you tune BDAD instead of BEAD, isnt the purpose of a 5 string/B string to be used in stead of detuning your E...can you please explain to me why because its just confusing me
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

To have a low B string, and also have a drop D E string for doubling drop D guitar parts. I have often thought of buying a decent inexpensive five and tuning it BDADG, because my guitarist likes to do drop D riffs. Some of which are way too fast to play without an open low D string.
  11. fair enough, why not buy a kubicki :D
  12. not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    i own a 2000 mim fender jazz V and a 1980 squier mij jazz bass 4 string. the problem that i have with the mim is that the pickups are really melo, it's so increadibly non-punchy that it annoys me. even with a j retro in it and i can barely dial anything particularly agressive out of it. compared to my 1980 mij squire with is punchy as all get out. maybe i can post some some sound clips or something. as for the feel of either instrument. the neck on the 5 feels good to me. I've had difficulty lowering the action as low as it is on my 4 string, but it's a very playable instrument.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Because I need a low B too, and don't like Kubickis.
  14. :eek: how dare you! HERACY! lol....what if it was a jazz body and kubicki neck, bridge and preamp? hmmmmm? lol :p
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I feel that the 5 string Fender's that I've played have retained the "Jazz Sound". Alot of people have stated that the B string is floppy but, IMO alot of that can be fixed with a good set up. I've personally owned a MIA Standard (Passive) Jazz & a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz. If you wanna keep it passive, you can find a nice, pre owned MIA. If you're looking for active, the MIM Deluxe, new or pre owned is a great sounding bass.
  17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Now THAT would be a killer instrument.

I've played 5 string Fenders, but I don't like 'em. Fender's one of those companies that just looks and feels weird to have more than 4 strings on it (though those Low End six string jazzes are WILD).
  18. ive seen something halfway there, a fender jazz special/plus cant remember, withe the fenderised kubicki preamp and fender lace pickups
  19. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Because it is easier to play two notes on two different strings back to back, than it is to hammer two notes, three frets away.
  20. ahh cheap way out hey ;) , here i am playing a 32" and 36" scale instrument which when dropped to D theres no transposing or fingering changes, :rollno: :p