Do you own the best bass you ever played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I was driving in to work today, and thinking how fortunate I am that the best bass I ever played happens to be one I own. I was at Makin Music in Chicago a while back, and I played a Lakland 4-94 to see what all the Lakland hype was about. After an hour and a half that breezed by like it was 20 mins, I was convinced it isn't just hype. I talked to my wife later about my trip, and told her about the 4-94 and I said "it's the best bass I've ever played, I can see why they cost so much". I didn't have the dough for the bass, but a few months later it popped up on Ebay for about $600 less than they were asking for it. The rest is history.............

Anybody else?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, it's an mtd 535, the ugliest ever made in most people's opinion :D

535 #28
  3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hell yes, my Geddy Lee Fender
  4. Unfortunatley no, I do not own a MusicMan S.U.B. :(
  5. [​IMG]

With the EVH (left) as best 4-string and the Bennie (middle) as best 5-string... :)
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    No. The best bass I've ever played was a Jack Read. The Peavey Cirrus I have now is the best bass I've ever owned though.
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nope. My friends '78 P just has the magic.

There was also an SSD NS-5 at gelb that I played many years ago that was way up there. Alas, it was 4 grand and I was 17.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    In March of this year I bought my FBB fretless 6 from a fellow TBer sight unseen, but with a bucket load of confidence after having played two other FBB basses kind of recently just before I bought mine. When the bass arrived, I picked it up and new, immediately and instantaneously, that this was the absolute best bass I had ever played :bassist:

Kind of weird, because this bass is out of character for me. I usually shy away from exotic wood combinations and have always prefered the basic Fender-esque body shape. But the bass is an amazing piece of construction, has a fantastic fretless tone (she sings sooooo nice :D ) ........

Yeah, this is the very best bass (electric or upright) I have ever owned in my 44 years of playing :cool:

10. ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    I used to, but had to sell it to get my life back on track :bawl:
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is this a trick question? You've seen what I've had in my hands for the last couple Talkbass DC GTGs. :)

I may not own the best bass I've ever played, but I own the one I like the best. My Tacoma Thunderchief. It's an amazing organic instrument which I really love.
  12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Happy Times,
  13. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    i own the second best bass i've ever played, my J-bass

but the best i've ever played had to be a Lakland....can't afford one right now though
  14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    which is my 2003 Am. Ser. Jazz with Lindy Fralin Split Jazz pickups.

I'd say the best was a relatively recent Guild Starfire I tried about a year ago, which was on sale for about $1,200. Great playability, and incredibly powerful, visceral tone. I already had a fantastic semi-hollow body (DiPinto Belvedere), so I couldn't justify buying it at the time -- but man do I wish I had!

Now I see Lakland is offering the Hollowbody with optional Dark Star pickups. Hmmm....
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Not yet. :( Someday...

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Well, if your asking me then, YES!!!
    My relatively long term lack of GAS is proof positive, even though I have been "noticing" some of her younger cousins recently ;) .
    Regardless, I have no doubt that I will continue making music with my bass for many, many years to come.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My personal experience is when I had no money and crap gear I was easily wowed by basses (and amps) I'd try in stores. Once I got enough money together to start buying good stuff it's been a lot harder to be impressed :cool:

While I don't have the $$ to own a REALLY nice upright (I've had the chance to play one that was priced at $85K with a $10K bow...yeah it was nice) as far as electrics I'd say I probably do currently own the best basses I have tried.
  18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  19. Yes. My '86 stingray. To me, it smokes a sadowsky metro and a '66 j bass. Dunno why, but it feels "right" and begged me to buy it when I first plugged it in.