Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you own your "signature" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Oct 14, 2005.

1. I happen to.

Nothing fancy, just an Ibanez RKB900 in Vintage Fade with the stock Seymour Duncans and the Badass.

It just feels like a limb. I own a Ric, Sterling, and have owned... too many instruments to name at the moment that arguably sound "better," but none quite feel like this one.

Here's a picture of it.

What about you?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    If I owned my signature bass, I'd own a 9 string Conklin with custom Lane Poor pickups and a U-Retro. Ebony board, Maple neck w/ Ebony and Purpleheart laminates, Ash body with a melted top.

3. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  4. Well I do own a Signature bass.

[​IMG]

:D.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    It's a crazy bass all around. The pickguard is aluminum with brushed aluminum stripes, and the old single coils in it have those wonderfully Japanese square pole pieces. It's also a 30" scale, even though it doesn't really look like it. It's a wonderful, wonderful bass. :) :smug:

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I own mine pretty much because everyone i've takled to hasn't even heard of Brawley, let alone a 6 string Brawley.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My sterling feels best to me as of now.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I jumped on the RKB 900 bandwagon when they were being clearanced - there's no feeling quite like getting a $1200 bass "Prestige"-level (I'd easily put it up against a MIA P/J) for 73% off list. :D

...and I suppose your swirl makes yours "your" signature bass. I'm thinking of having a custom silver pearloid pickguard for mine to set it apart.

As for my "dream" signature bass, that's easy: Mike Lull Modern 5 with an ash body and flame maple top in Teal with a maple fretboard, matching headstock, Duncan Bassline pups and Bartolini NTMB electronics. It'll be called "More Bass Than Talent" model. :bawl:

9. Would it be possible for you to record a clip? I've -always- wanted to hear and own a bass with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2's equipped.

What tonal characteristics do those pickups emphasize? I've read the bio before regarding how Duncan came about designing those p'ups but would like to hear an objective opinion.

Hehe, I've owned a couple of "More Bass Than Talent" instruments before. 'Never quite felt right in my hands.

As far as the decal, that's just the "Leaf" symbol from the show Naruto. It represents the ninjas from the "Hidden Village of Leaf."

It just fits that bass so well that it actually looks like it came like that, not to mention it's just a unique instrument in general. The RKB's are very, very nice instruments and like you said, I hopped on that wagon for the same reason. Only thing was that I had never expected that bass to be as great as it turned out for me.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes I do:
    [​IMG]

11. Argh!

That picture sends a chill down my very soul whenever I see it.

Stop!!!

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

13. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh God! *beats self in* Why do you torment me?

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Man, that Geddy Vee is so damn sweet.

15. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You know what? I think I really do.

The Bovine Bongo! I never expected it, but I guess I really do own my signature model.

Hoo!

Jack

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

17. Very beautiful burst, Major!

18. I'll soon have my "signature" bass. It's a black Fender Jazz body, an Allparts maple neck with rosewood fretboard, chrome Gotoh Vintage tuners, a chrome Gotoh 201-H bridge, chrome Fender control plate, a vintage white pearloid pick guard, and a set of EMG-J active pups.

Once I put it all together, I'll post pics, if you wanna see them.

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yes...check my site. My "signature" bass is a Yamaha BB605 with a Bartolini preamp and pickups.