Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you play "air" bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slickhare, May 22, 2005.

Do you play "air" bass?

Poll closed May 27, 2005.
  1. yes

49 vote(s)
    79.0%
  2. nope

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    when you're alone...do you crank up the volume (bass) on your favorite song that you don't necessarily know how to play...and just play an imaginary bass to your heart's content? i personally have... not cuz i'm a poser...just cuz it's pretty fun to do

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't really play air bass, I just move my right hand to the beat of the song.

3. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I'm very guilty =/

4. That makes two of us.

5. I am very very very guilty. I dont play to a song. I play 'air' bass when Im just hanging out. I'm constantly moving my hands like Im pklaying a bass. My right hand is plucking,m and my left is moving like im going up and down the fretboard. Everyone always calls me crazy. Sometimes I REALLY get into it. I sometimes act like im on stage :ninja:

6. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    ya i'm always "air" slapping my thigh and/or assorted furniture. people always ask me what i'm doing, other bassists always give my an understanding nod ;)

7. gforce

gforce

Apr 30, 2005
    :p
    It's not really the air but,As I am driving around in the old auto the stearing wheel becomes a fret board and the high side of the finger seperators become strings to land upon.Seem's to keep me entertained and other motorists wondering just what type of juice Ive ingested

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Absolutely. I do it when im out on the town, having a dance. Bit of air bass along with Muse/Pulp or something like that. I do it when im at home too. Its great - very relaxing :)!

9. It's not even when I am alone... If I am bored waiting for something or on the bus, I will either play air bass to the music (right hand) or to the music (read as: voices) in my head.

... discreetly though

10. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Three

11. I don't think i could survive work without a good tune in my head and me banging and air playing lol. Its better then the drummer i also work with banging on things and head banging at the same time.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I do it all the time too. I was reading some theory stuff while waiting in the car yesterday and was doing air-DB (practicing scales and vibrato ;)). Got a funny look from the guy in the car ahead of me, I'm sure.

13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I use the leather covered shifter knob in my car to pluck out the rhythms of whatever song I'm listening to.

14. Favorite air bass tracks are 'Force Ten' and 'Open Secrets' -- Rush

15. Same.

16. I always slap on my thigh and on furniture too. During church today, I sat on the end, and slapped the crap out of the pew arm rest :D

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm often practicing finger stamina, when I'm walking, on my pants...

wow that sounded dirty...

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I usually do it in the car when listening to something I like. :bassist:

19. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I play air bass but I drum with my palms or fingertips on table tops and/or my leg more often than I play air bass.

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Air Bass and Air Drums (I definately of all things can not get the hang or rhythems on guitar)

Only way to pass time in school when I'm bored...or going through halls...or just about anything. Singing + Air Bass = funny looks from other people :D