Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you play bass but not in a band?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowner, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I play bass and dont play in a band and never have. I have a friend ( drummer who is in between bands)who says it is a waste to play bas but not be in a band. I play guitar too and said its different with the guitar.and that you can play but not join a band. I was saying all this because I like the bass better than guitar and was thinking of selling my guitars and I could get a great mid to high end bass. keeping only my Taylor 614 ceL4 and the electric guitar I built.
    I got to thinking about that and was thinking maybe it is a waste to be a bass player with no band. What do you guys think??

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I disagree with your drummer buddy, it can be lots of fun to jam out to some music in your bedroom or whatever, and at some point, you have to practise scales and reading and basic stuff like that, by yourself, so in that sense I dont consider it a waste at all

But also, if you want, try to find a band with guys you know you can get along with, and just have fun playing covers or whatever you wanna do... jamming with a band (especially a drummer) is just so much more fun :bassist:

I'm not in a band right now either, but I have been in a couple over the last few years... I only quit because the other guys were screwing around too much, or just sucked... and if you'll have bad luck finding bands, like moi, it gets so frustrtating...:mad:

but thatse nough ranting :)

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I go through periods of not playing with a band. I hate it. Even if the band isn't playing out, the joy of playing music with other people is too much to ignore.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I didn't want to play in a band when I wasn't good enough but now that I am I love jamming with people. Sure i like playing bysmyself still. its fun, but not as fun as playing with other people and playing shows and stuff.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    If you enjoy playing bass by yourself then there is no harm in it. If and when you decide to play with a band or just jam with other musicians, it will be that much more fun. And you can always play along with CDs or a drum machine if you want.

The bottom line is to do what you like.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    and the main thing is if you arn't playing with a band you should still play with your friend the metronome

7. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    The role of the bass is to be a foundation for a music group.

That don't mean you have to play in a band. Bands can either be a great deal of fun or a total pain in the ass. Depends on yer mates and if yer all headed the same direction. And how much you know about the biz.... Music/music biz=two different things.

I'm kinda in between bands right now and I have a gas playing by myself! But I truly like being the foundation in a group.

Look at Manring, or Edgar Meyer, or Stanley. They don't need no stinking group. But they sure sound good in 'em!

8. Right now I am not in a band, but I still make music. I have learned to be self sufficient learning to play guitar and drums, and do a lot of recording tracking everything myself, programming stuff when parts are complicated.

I only sometimes miss playing in a band, especially the live shows, but it can be a lot of drama - people not working hard, people being difficult, people with big egos and then there is just tensions due to different visions. Overall, very frustrating for me. So I stopped, and will just go solo for a while. I do still jam with people from time to time, which is fun because expectations are kept in check, but I have no interest in being in a band... for right now at least.

9. i'm not in a band right now, but i do jam alot with my friends, and i think its great. just sitting around making up music and learning songs, thats always fun.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So, not only is he a drummer (durrrrrlllllll *drool coming out of mouth*) but he's between bands... hmmm, sounds like someone I'd talke musical advice from.

Don't play bass without a band huh? Aside from the "solo bassist role" listed... HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO GET BETTER?! Should you only practice with a band?.... ugh, nevermind.

11. i play in the band at my church (well actually 2 of them) but not in a band outside of that. i want to, i just don't have the time or the people to do so with. i jam with other people all the time and play by myself, both turn me into a better player. do what ever you feel suits yourself

lowsound

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i do 50% of my session work in my room, sitting in front of a monitor, laying down tracks, so technically, yea, i'm alone, too. ;)

13. i'm not in a band, but i jam out with a lot of friends, i might be in 2 soon. one blues and one modern mix of everything.

14. I think your drummer friend is full of crap. Either that or he's really underlying a need for you to join him and get together in a band. (Personally I'd hold out for the 2nd option...If he's between bands, then he's probably looking for players. Take it as a compliment that he thinks you should be out playing!)

Doing your own thing is never a bad thing, (unless you're a serial killer, or something like that!). I've been doing this for over 35 years and spent a lot of those years with records, in my room and had a great time and learned A LOT!

When the time is right, you'll break out into the "band" scene. It's totally different than being by yourself and playing for "you". Take your time and do what you WANT to do. Doesn't sound like you have to be in a band. Do it when you WANT to be in a band. The right time will come along.

In the meantime; Rock on! (Or Jazz-out), or whatever you're playing!:bassist: :D

15. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have played mostly guitar for 30 + years...a few highschool bands which went no where and played to records and tapes. I found out it was boring and i and my playing was stale and got nowhere. I wrote songs and started recording them a couple of years ago and bought a bass to add to the recording. I always loved bass as mush as guitar if not more but found it less musical than a guitar...i couldnt write and sing with a bass. This woke me up to look at bass again and i play only that now...the recording was cool but again i was alone in the basement. I decided to update and improve my gear and place adds to see if i could catch on with a band or find jam mates to play with. I got alot of replies did two try outs and landed the bass role in two bands in one week. One guitarist said to me "where have you been ..man your a player get out of the basement"...i now am in a band and have learned so much as well as been challenged like i never was before. I say..Yes..it is kind of a waste ..get with that drummer and work on timing and basslines at least or look for others to jam with while you play by yourself...it is the best way to learn and you might even start a band or make new friends....do it now...i wish i did 30 years ago. I have fiends and a band:smug:

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I play bass, dont have a band, maybe never will, and thats fine with me. I play bass for ME, and I dont really care if anyone ever hears me play. I enjoy playing, and have some stage fright as well, so playing for people or with people actually isnt as enjoyable to me as playing alone a lot of the time. Now I do have fun playing with friends, and Im sure I could get through playing a show if I needed too, but its not something I strive for really.

Same with my tattoos, people ask why I cover them up, and the answer is, I dont intentionally, but my ink is for me, not anyone else, so if they never got seen, wouldnt bother me at all. Thats how I view my expensive bass hobby too :)

17. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I don't think your drummer friend has any business telling you what you should or shouldn't do but... I probably wouldn't spend any time playing bass if I wasn't in a band...

I've done my share of sitting round the house playing bass, and although it's enjoyable and a legitimate way of spending your time, i've got other things i'd rather do with my mine

18. I play bass and don't have a band.
    It really sucks too. I've been playing for 6 years, I know a bunch of other bassists, but I don't know any other musicians.
    The really REALLY sucky thing is that I'm as good as or better then most of my bassist friends, but most of them are already in bands too. How the hell do I get a band started??!?!!