1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you play e-bass guitar, double bass or both?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Nov 15, 2010.

Do you play e-bass, double bass or both?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2010.
  1. Only the electric bass (or acoustic bass guitar) for sure!

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Nothing else than the double bass (or electric upright bass)!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Ok, I play them both.

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I would like to make a survey here at TB about the topic "Do you play electric bass guitar, double bass or both of them?".

Please use the poll above.

Personally, I play only the electric bass right now. But I'm always intrested to expand the possibilities with a double bass (or a EUB).

/mrbaloo

2. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok, it is almost impossible to say anything yet about the results. But, in Sweden the statistics tell us this:

about 40 % Only electric bass
    < 1 % Only double bass
    about 60 % Both electric bass and double bass

I think it would be very intresting to see more votes in the poll...

/mrbaloo

3. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    I play and have played only electric bass,and i'm not interested in double bass at the moment :)

4. Both

5. AcidFripp

AcidFripp

Jul 12, 2010
    Only electric bass guitar. But perhaps your reuslts will be skewed and biased; you're asking in the Electric Bass Guitar section!

6. I am all electric here! I don't have interest in learning or playing double and not crazy about acoustic. I love to feel the vibrations all the way thru! :)

7. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I play both but admit the electric is more my voice. I'm better at it and I prefer it. The electric requires a better understanding of the sonic capabilities whereas upright requires intense technique.

All bassists should play upright and guitar -- at least in a basic, functional way.

Most any upright player can play some electric, but few do both well. Stanley is the one exception of someone who is equally skilled on both. (Some may say Patatucci but I see him more as an acoustic player).

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I play both regularly. While they share a lot of similarities, like plangentmusic mentioned, they are still quite different.

9. I only own electric basses, but I can play an upright if it's called for.

10. I play electric bass guitar and 3/4 scale EUB stick, but don't tell the guys in the upright bass section that's a bass. :p Some of them are taking the u-bass pretty seriously though.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Both, by your definition, but something like 95% of my gigs have been on EUB over the last several years. I don't consider the EUB to be particularly comparable to a double bass really though; it's its own thing.

12. I only play bass guitar. I would love to really learn on an upright though, and possibly even the cello (which was my first instrument, 15 years ago).

13. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    My GAS for a EUB increased when I looked at the http://www.bunnybrunel.com/ new EUB model (until I looked at the price tag... :bawl:).

/mrbaloo

14. Currently only own and play electric bass guitars. Would like to eventually add an electric upright to my stable and learn to play it; but really, want to get better on the bass guitar before I try and learn EUB.