1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you play guitar

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by line6man, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. It seems like almost everybody here just plays the bass.

i have an equal love of both guitar and bass, and i couldnt really say that i favor one over the other.
    i do go thru phases however where i am really into one and not into the other for a few months.

so do you guys play the guitar too, or just bass?

2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I had to learn to play guitar to defend myself from the jackasses that say bassists only play bass because they can't shred at guitar. I can now shred at both but bass will always be my love.

3. there should be a "lil bit" option. The sad part is that as sorry as i am on guitar. I'm the best in my entire school and for miles around my house. It sounds cool to say that but when you realize that you'll never have a half decent guitarist for any sort of band unless they live miles away it gets kinda depressing.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Not very well, but I can keep the groove going and add a little spice. I leave that to my brother.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Not so much right now, but yea.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I dabble.

7. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    I've actually put the bass down for a little while to concentrate on the guitar. We need some time apart. I'm currently learning some Hendrix...a guitar player that can groove...Hendrix is the man. I recently decided to play without a pick and once I get back into shape I'm going to take up the slide like Trucks or Allman. I have yet to find a true direction to move in with the bass, so that's on hold for awhile.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    When my son was around 4 years old, we were killing time and a new Guitar Center had just opened up, so I took him there to look around. We got to the guitar wall. He pointed at the guitars and asked in his loudest voice:

Daddy, what are those little basses? :D

9. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    No. Well, I can play a few songs. I can play basic chords and whatnot, and I can play Out of Focus by Blue Cheer (cuz that riff's just awesome), but that's about it.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sure do. I play it as much as I do bass,

11. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    I play guitar for the most part actually. I've been playing guitar for longer than bass, they get about equal play time now, but if I had to pick one of the two I would probably call myself a guitarist. Honestly I don't think I would call myself a guitarist or a bassist, but that's a whole other thread altogether.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I just bought a 900 dollar guitar =]

13. Poorly, but I will not vote in a poll w/o a 'carrots' option- I'm a TB traditionalist.

14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've never been so proud of someone else's kid.

15. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    Though I own a guitar, I can not play it. As a matter of fact, every time I pick it up it goes out of tune. I tell people that pick it up to play it that I use an alternate tuning.

16. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Absolutely. I have three guitars and just one bass. I've played guitar since 1978 or so, and only picked up bass in 2006. But I'd say bass is my main instrument these days; it's what I play in the band apart from being the lead singer. I can also hack saxophone and piano.

In my opinion, if you aren't at least passable at a chord playing instrument you're not going to be a very interesting bass player.

17. i play guitar sometimes, classical guitar. nylon strings finger style

18. Win :)

I play guitar, have a fairly nice setup too :)

Epiphone LP Custom
    Epiphone SG
    Telecaster rip-off
    Trace Elliot Speedtwin H100 C
    Peavey 412

19. Yeah... I easily switch off from bass duties to handling lead guitar responsibilities. I've been having alot of "double duty" lately, especially in the studio. Thats why I recently bought yet another USA Stratocaster.. all pickups were upgraded with DiMarzios. It sustains for days.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have tried playing my brothers guitars and I'm awful, but I will soon be getting an Ibanez Nylon string to try my hand at some John McLaughlin stuff.