Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you play in several bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funk3108, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Funk3108

Funk3108

Jul 30, 2002
    I'm the bass player of a funk/rock band
    & the drummer of an other:)

Who plays in more than 1 band ?

Is this situation easy for you ?

2. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I currently play bass in two bands. Creatively, it's a great situation because the bands are very different from each other. Both play original material with an occasional cover. But, other than that are not very similar. One is a pretty eclectic mix of just about everything and has 5 members while the other is a more acoustic driven 3 piece rock band with a female vocalist/guitarist.

It also works out well for me that everyone between the two bands is friends and we share a rehearsal speace and have played shows together.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think it's great to be in multiple bands if you have a main band, then maybe a jazz trio on the side or a Bluegrass thing you do once in a while, or a recording project ect.

But, I believe you SHOULDN'T be in two bands whose goals are to play in bar rooms on Friday and Saturday nights. Our lead guitarist tried to do that, and we wound up getting screwed in the end.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey Ed, what's the trio with the tenor like?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm kind of in the same situation as Ed, though it's mostly with other music students around here.

but i'm the main bassist in:

a 9 piece funk/r&b group
    a 4 piece rock/jazz group
    a jazz quartet
    a hip-hop/beats/jazz guitar trio
    a 5 piece fusion band
    and when school starts, the UW big band

the trick is - you have to put them in a priority order, and be able to either get subs or cancel the gigs for the lower bands if there's a conflict.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Just one. Wife, kids, dog, yard. Barely have time for one part time band. It's all good though

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lucid Dreamer - Originals, hard rock, Christ influenced lyrics
    Vinny and the Jets - 50's, 60's, 70's covers
    Silver Star - Country originals
    Praise and worship at church

8. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i was in two bands until it kind of blew up on me last year. my schedule got mixed up and i realized on thursday that i was double booked on a saturday. i ended up getting a last minute sub to cover my spot in one of the bands, but the sub did a horrible job. (couldn't use one of my normal subs)

anyways, after that night the guys in that band basically told me that i could either commit to play in their band only, or they would look for a new bass player. i ended up walking because i was making a lot more money and having more fun in the other band.

if you do try to play in two bands, make sure you keep a good schedule and make sure that you proioritize which band is more important to you, because eventually you will have conflicts.

9. TheLastMinute

TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    Im in two bands and just like you I play bass and vocals in one and drums in the other. I think it ******* rocks man.

10. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'm officially doing:

1. funk/soul cover band (9-piece, lot's of Tower of Power)

2. original rock and roll band

3. jazz duo with a piano player (some originals, mostly standards)

4. country/metal/rap band, original music to lose your wife/truck/dog to while trying to keep your FUBU cowboy hat on in the mosh pit. :D

I'd like to put together a classic rock cover band too, to play Led Zeppelin, Who, Doors, etc.. tunes. Blah. I need more time in the day to do everything I want to do.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, I was just wondering what that would be like with no instrument playing chords. Not saying it wouldn't work, I was just trying to invision it.

Can't go wrong though with playing some Thelonious Monk.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Hey Ed, any chance of hearing that trio? Without packing up the wife, twins, dog, and cats and heading to NYC? Sounds very interesting!

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bad Weather Boyz: Motown/R&B, blues, classic rock

Neighborhood Dog: Modern Rock<font size="1"><sup>tm</sup></font>, hard rock, punk, classic rock

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oops, forgot the 2nd question.

Yeah, my situation happens to be very easy. My #2 band knows they have to schedule their gigs around my #1 band. I didn't expect them to do that, I actually thought they'd try to find someone to replace me, but apparently bassists are scarce 'round these parts. :p

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    1: Counter Attack, Led Zeppelin tribute, together for 16 years.
    2: GO, My Original project just put out it's debut CD, together 4 years.
    3: Peg-Head, My wifes Classic/modern rock cover band with a few originals thrown in, together two years.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    How is that, being in a band with your wife?

17. at one point i was in three bands. one 3 piece band, one all chick 7 piece and one 5 piece hardcore band. it was pretty easy for me because the 7 piece practiced tuesday nights, when none of us had dance rehaersals, the 3 piece practiced on sundays, and the 5 piece hardcore band practiced at any given moment. i didnt find it difficult because i didnt relaly do much except gymnastics 8 hours a week, but that was usualy late night so it wasnt a problem. the biggest problems came on gig nights when all thre of my bands were playing on the same stage! ahh! that was the only hard thing i find.
    g'luck!
    peace&plaid
    -Shoonk