1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you play with both pickups wide open?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ppanousos, Nov 28, 2006.

1. ppanousos

ppanousos

Apr 10, 2005
    Greece
    When i cut off some of the neck's pickup volume the sound becomes more punchy but looses that high end sound that i like in a bass.Do you have the same problem?

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Allways ! :bassist:

3. YES

4. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    i used to play with both of my emg HZ's wide open. but now i have them hard wired in series to one volume pot. talk about huge.

5. Mandril

Mandril

May 10, 2006
    Madrid
    I used to cut off neck's pickup a little, but instead i cut off a little of bass in my amp and use both pickups wide open... My new berg cab helps with punch tho!

6. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    I've learned its unswise to crank any instrument wide open.

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Either both or just the bridge pup with the tone all the way off for a punchy fingerstyle tone.

8. Very rarely.

9. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I play with both pickups all the way. It just bothers me to think that there is a pickup there that isn't being used. That's why I have three P-basses, and only one Warwick.

10. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Both p/u's and tone cranked. I also adjust them as close to the strings as possible. If I need any subtle variation in tone I alter my technique which gives me more range than switching p/u's or changing the volumes.

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I set the balance to about 75% bridge, 25% neck and run the volume at about 40%.

12. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Both volumes wide open and the tone on 50%.

13. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Bridge at 2/5 and neck 3/5. Slightly favoring the bridge pup gives me punch with plenty of tone across the spectrum.:)

14. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I use 100% neck 25% bridge for most playing.

15. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Almost always both full on. Sometimes I back off one or the other depending on a particular sound I'd like to achieve.

16. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i always have to favor one of my two extra pickups cuz my dimarzio P is enourmous. i have to cut way back on the vol and a little on the tone to keep it from overwhelming whatever alternate pickup im using.

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I say between 30/70 or 45/65 towards my bridge pickup with my onboard preamp bass boosted 1/4 of the way. I used to only use both pickups wide open, but he more and mroe I listened to people's tones I liked the more and more I've changed my tone.

18. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    There's a big difference between passive and active here...

Passive - always everything wide open.

Active - depends on the sound I want, changes a lot but usually I'm 50/50 or maybe a little more towards the bridge. EQ changes.

19. well on my jazz i usually play with both pickups centered, sometimes if i want a grunty slap tone ill lean towards the neck a little....sometimes if im playing a fast synth bass run from some cheesy song, ill solo the bridge pickup just for that line, my jazz is only wired vol/bal so theres no tone control on it

20. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yes I do.