1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you play your bass(es) into the ground or keep them in mint condition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, May 26, 2011.

1. Use it or lose it like no tomorrow

63.8%
  2. It's in pristine condition - epic collector's item

30.4%
  3. I'M RICH! I own several, depends on the bass

11.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Gretsch - Less than a year old of course I'll keep in cleanest condition as possible but looks like wear+tear is imminent in the next 50 years I intend to own it. I'm ok with that but only if I'm the one doing the wearing & tearing.
    P fretless - it's already been modded, refinished several times so cosmetics aren't an issue but I am very concerned about the condition of the neck & the playability. And the condition of my 4+ year old flatwounds that are on it.

2. My basses are both not that expensive or worth that much and so I'm not too worried about playing them 'into the ground'.

I'm hoping to buy something a bit more expensive at some point soon and it's likely I'll be more careful with it.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    There's a happy medium.

Use them, but maintain them and they'll serve you for life.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I was always really anal about my Ric. It's 20 years old, and it's still in very good shape. That being said, it's by no means pristine. I'm a bass player, and it's a bass players bass. Every nick and scratch hurt me though. I think it was made worse by my attempting to keep it in pristine condition.

I don't abuse my basses by any means, but my main player these days, (A franken Hoppus P) gets no quarter at all. I got it used, for cheap in almost rough condition, and I use it the way a bass should ought to be used IMHO.

I don't just drop it onstage and storm off after a set, but I never wipe it down either.

I figure I can still sell my Ric for what I bought it for (or more) and I don't really care about resale on my franken p at all. It's a great bass, but I think you have to get intimate wth her to appreciate her.

5. This is pretty much spot on how I treat my Rics vs. my MIM J.

6. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Like a lot of people I'm pretty meticulous about keeping my instruments clean and looking nice...until the first dent/nick/scratch. Sort of like I'm just renting it and I might need to get my deposit back, but once it's marred I own it. It's been a very long time since I played a bass to pieces, I still take good care of my instruments in general and refurbish instruments as necessary (which is pretty rare). I'm a player though, not a collector. I buy to meet my wants/needs, not as an investment or with the expectation of constant turnover.

7. For me,it really depends on which bass that I'm playing. My pre-Gibson Tobias 5'er,my '61 and '75 Jazz Basses? I tend to,how can I say this,pay a little more attention to my surroundings,such as my drummers cymbals to my immediate left. Also,where I put my stands at on stage and such. You get the idea. I'm not the type of person that's really anal about not wanting scuffs'n'scratches on my basses. Don't get me wrong,I WIPE ALL MY BASSES DOWN,AFTER EVERY PRACTICE AND GIG. I also do all the upkeep and necessary maintenance on all my basses and gear.
    IMO,those 3 basses (of the 7 that I presently own) that I mentioned,would,IMO,be nearly,if not impossible,to replace,in MY hands and ears opinion,at least.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I work hard at keeping them pristine. They get played at gigs, but which bass goes to the gig depends on what type of gig it is.

My American Deluxe Jazz FMT V has a tiny nick on the lower horn and a tiny nick near the truss rod adjuster slot. I call it my "beater bass."

9. All my basses have whiskey dents and beer stains and smell like a smokey bar...but I don't purposely abuse them.

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Same here. From gigs to late night jam sessions in the neighbor's garage to countless rehearsals and messing around at home.... my jazz sees hard use. That said, I do wipe down the strings every once in a while and I polish it maybe once or twice a year. I'm also not really a fan the shiny/brand new look. I won't pay for 'relic-ing', that's just silly, imho, but I prefer the look of an instrument that's seen a thing or two.

One of the reasons I really like my Hwy 1 is that it's wearing in faster without the high grade finish of the Am Standards.

11. +1

12. My USA Fender P Deluxe I keep in pristine condition. The Squier Deluxe active V I won't worry about too much if it gets the odd ding.

13. I treat 'em as well as I can, but am not as fanatical as poll question #2. Even my earlier cheapo Dean (which was actually pretty nice for a cheapo.) It isn't hard; don't slam into stuff, use a decent stand, clean and set them up occasionally. And I'm pretty careful to avoid the giant buckle rash thing. It's disrespectful in my book.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I treat every instrument with care. I've seen basses on display in stores with more damage than similar basses I have owned and used for 10 years.

15. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    If you don't mind my asking.. WTH is a whiskey dent? That must be some strong stuff in your part of the woods...

i've been with one instrument for the last 8 years. Kinda hard to keep it pristine when it gets used quite often. Some small dings i can deal with. Gives it some character... IMO

16. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    My MIM Jazz and Pbass I'm not that meticulous about. Yes, I wipe the strings, neck, and body down occasionly, but I also leave them leaning against my amp sometimes. My G&L, Lakland, MIA Jazz I tend to take much better care of

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Depends I guess.

I go through a lot of basses through my never ending GAS and have been through well over 100. I generally don't own them long enough than to put some scuffs on the edges. I currently own 11 basses and almost all of them see gig time.

I've got a handful of basses currently that I've owned for more than a year. My longest is a first year 57 RI P-bass that looks like it got dragged behind a truck. That bass has been with me in every band I've ever played in for over 10 years now. I've glued the splinters of the neck back together when I took a chunk out of the neck. Its been refretted and just underwent another fret level yesterday. There are pieces missing from the headstock from when its hit things.
    Every electronic component aside from the pickup has been replaced now at least twice. Generally its from alcohol as people tend to throw their drinks around at our shows. They don't throw bottles at us thankfully.

I don't exactly baby my instruments but I don't abuse the crap out of them either. OK... well maybe I kind of abuse them. ;)

Here is a picture of it from about 6 months ago. There are a few more dings on it now and the pickup cover is back on.

front.
    back.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm a fanatic about keeping them ding and scratch free. I hate buckle rash and don't understand the road worn look at all but that's just me.

I put the first ding in my MIM jazz about 4 months ago. I have had that bass since '05 and never scratched or dinged it that whole time. It looks brand new with the exception of the fret wear. My Schaller strap lock let go and it dropped on to a tile floor. It took a dime sized chunk out of the sunburst finish. I was able to grab the neck before it hit the ground with full force but the body still hit the ground. No damage to the wood, not even a small dent, just broke the finish off. Weird. It really bugs me now to see that chunk out of the finish.

19. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I only have 3 basses which is a lot for me as I never owned more than 2 at once over 40 years of playing.

1. 1966 Gibson EB 2D, as close to mint as you can get. I broke the neck once and sent it to the Gibson Custom Shop for repair. Good as new.
    2. Warwick Thumb BO. I have only added finger prints and I wipe them down every time I play, even at home.
    3. Fender MIM P. 16 year old and not a single dent, scratch or mark that can be seen.

20. I don't generally care about the condition of my players. I'm not going to smash them or drop them or hurt them on purpose, but if one gets a dent or a scratch here and there I shrug and say, "Crap, oh well." and move on.

On the other hand, I don't play my USA Reverend anymore because I don't want it to get trashed and I also keep my home/practice basses in good condition because they don't usually leave my music room.