Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you pluck differently when you record?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Gyoon, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I did some recording yesterday and it seemed like I was clipping the mixer from the direct out on my amp. Even when we adjusted the levels it was still a bit of a problem.
    I realized that it was probably my technique. I might be just a tad too dynamic in my two finger picking. When I tried to simply back off on my picking it messed with my timing something fierce. I found I was dragging the beat big time.

What would some exercises be to develop more even volume in my lines? Currently I am recording myself with a tape deck and checking for any discrepancies, as well as doing a LOT of eighth note exercises. Would working with some sort of VU meter help? I didn't record with a compressor because we didn't have one on hand.

Glenn

PS you're a very, very good man for doing this.

2. You're right on with the V.U. meter idea! I've used the L.E.D.s on my rack compressor to give me feedback as to my output levels. It really helps to have a visual indicator. Practice with it until your output is consistently even.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

There are 2 issues here. First off is technique. Personally, I try to play with the lightes touch possible all the time, whether recording or not. I then let the amp do the work. I know others prefer to dig in but speed, effeciency, balance all come from a light touch.

The second issue is recording. Noting the gain in each stage of your rig is crucial to getting a clean, dynamic recording. Adding a little bit of compression (in stages) during mix down can help a great deal. Every part of your signal chain either adds or subtracts gain from the recording. The quality of the preamp also has a huge impact. A nice tube pre that has the abilty to sag will also really help. For home recordings, I'll use the ART tube pre - for approx. $100.00 you get a nice warm, slightly compressed recording.

I would not worry about the balance as much as I would about the technique and the signal chain.

Mike

4. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Which ART tube preamp do you use?

Glenn

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have a tube mp. It doesn't compare to a massenburg, but for home use, it's pretty good.

Mike