Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you prefer classic or modern look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Classic

39 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. Modern

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    Are you more into classic (Jazz, P, Stingray, etc..) or modern (Soundgear, Warwicks, etc..) designs?

Where do you think that the line between modern and classic goes?

I voted for classic... I like both, but I prefer big bodies and pickguards...

I didn´t add the "both" option in the poll, because I want to know which do you like MORE...

2. Honestly, there's a place in my heart for both. I can't choose. Sorry.:oops:

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I like both. My Modulus is very modern and I love it. I also really like most of the modern looks. MTD, Roscoe, Zon. Not so much Warwick, but almost all of the modern designs. There are always some dogs in there, but it is usally more about the wood and finish choice of a particular bass rather than a line as a whole.

But, I also gladly say the an Olympic white jazz bass with a red tortoise guard is one of the all-time beauties.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I voted modern, because I think of MTD's, Spectors, and such that I love!:D

But, there are some basses out there that others might call modern that I think are just way too bizarre to be taken seriously. It's those that I don't like.

So, if that means what I call modern is what you call classic, I think we have a problem. Otherwise...;)

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Its just me but I love modern looking basses. I mean I have never really owned a "fender" style instrument in my life. If I did I sold it fast. Maybe i am wacked in the head but I just love modern looking things. Or anything that just looks weird (to a certain degree)

Pedulla penta? does it look modern? to me it does, its different looking. i dont' know...

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love my Modulus Quantum and I'd also love to own a 1951 Precision, so count me in for "both".

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Modern, almost entirely. Though, there is something to be said for just rocking it w/ a P bass...

8. The Fender Jazz Bass is "classically" beautiful. There is nothing else like it.

9. Another vote for the classic (but not necessarily Fender) look.

Sunburst J w/ Tortoise shell pickguard or a nice Ric are the best looking basses to me.

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Best looking bass is the Ibanez BTB model in quilted dark red.

Prolly sounds like crap though (haven't heard good things about ibanez, and they hate lefties, so haven't tried one either).

11. The Fender P-bass is the best looking bass ever, IMO. It's so simple, but there's nothing that looks out of proportion, and there's no extra space that should be covered up with anything.

12. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I span both realms. I play a 75 P bass, an 89 Guild Advanced Pilot, a 2001 Peavey Cirrus and my own creation the G-Spot bass. My amps go the same way: 66 Traynor Bassmaster, 71 Ampeg V4B, 2000 Peavey Firebass II w/ 2 single E-V 15's, an Eden single 10 and a new SVT 610 HLF. There ya go.

13. well, i like stingrays and i like warwicks...

i guess i'm in the middle of new and old then

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always thought of myself as a classic kinda guy[ I love my Lull vintage 5] I got a Zon a few months back that has made me change my thinking a bit:)
    Aloha, Jerry

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would almost say both, I have a p-bass, and a carvin LB75f (greenburst finish), and a MIJ viola bass, and I love them all. But I voted classic, b/c there is nothing and will never be a bass that is like the Rickenbacker 4000 series.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Got a picture of that?

17. when i hear the phrase "bass guitar" i always think of john paul jones's 62 fender jazz, and the classic tobacco sunburst with tortise shell pickguard. now that a bass!!!!!!

18. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    For me, nothing says "Bass" louder than a Fender.

19. I voted modern. My mind was picturing a Carl Thompson bass, MTD, and a Ritter bass. I love the body shapes of them all. Although I do love my Fender P. But the modern's tickle my fancy more

20. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Fender style jazz, 3-tone sunburst and red tortoise pickguard

Rickenbacker 4003 in JetGlo or FireGlo

mmmm....