1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you prefer wide or narrow necks ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Wide

64 vote(s)
    35.4%
  2. Narrow

101 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Carrot Cake

16 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do you prefer wide or narrow bass necks ?

2. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Narrow.

3. i don't like overly wide or narrow necks, but a nice compromise in between :)

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I like to use pretty narrow 5 strings. The strings on my Cirrus are almost too narrow to slap easily on the E and other strings. However, I mainly use the B string for slapping so it's not really a concern.

5. For 5 string....Wide at the bridge, relatively narrow at the nut (like the Sadowsky neck).... gives you plenty of room for right hand technique without the neck feeling so big.

For 4 string... doesn't matter

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I prefer wide over narrow. I actually have a P neck on my white homebuilt Jazz. It says Jazz Bass, but it's really a P. A very FAST P, mind you, but it is still a P. :)

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    For 4-strings I generally prefer wider (P). For 5-string I generally prefer somewhat narrow or in the middle.

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    narrow at the nut area for comfy left hand and a bit wider on the bridge approach so that my fat little greedy hands can fit in.
    example: I was playing my Spector (which I don't play that much anymore, as you know) last night and I felt that the string spacing on the 5 string was a little thin, but on my geckos, it's a bit wider and more controllable. the spector is not able to be adjusted for the width.
    overall I prefer a neck similar to your lakland or on my USACG necks.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Somewhat narrow, but relatively thick, front-to-back.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    On women, or basses?

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    WIDER IS BETTER.

If it's wide enough, I can deal with thin, front to back. But, for the most part, I also enjoy thick necks. My ideal neck would be a Spector style chunky neck, with wider nut. 1 & 5/8ths" on a four, 1 & 7/8ths on a five, and so on. Or wider. 1.75" on a four is one of my favorite neck types. Combine that with a Spector, or super-chunky P neck, and you've got how I roll.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have medium-sized hands (at best), but i prefer wide necks. Why? Two reasons:

1. String spacing, especially on basses on which I slap
    2. Less tendency to wrap my thumb over the top of a wide neck. I try my damndest to keep it centered on the back of the neck, but I slip up sometimes.

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Narrow narrow narrow.

My hands are big enough for large necks, but I do a lot of chordwork and it's much more comfortable on J-ish type widths. Also I fret the E-string with my thumb quite often.

Not that I don't love my P of course. ;)

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I like Ibanez and Carvin necks and string spacings. Nice and fast and tight. I got stubby fingers.

15. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Wide. I have long gangly fingers.:eek:

16. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Narrow. I'm surprised to see I'm in the majority so far. I'm sure there'll be a better average in a few days, but I thought most people said narrow necks give them hand cramps.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Naw actually, from my experience, it's anywhere from 3-5:1, those who prefer narrow necks to bigger ones.

18. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I prefer Narrow personally because of short fingers, although I generally build more medium necks. The most common orders I get for basses are; 4 string-1 9/16 @ nut, 5 string- 1 3/4 @ nut, 6 -string 2 1/16 @ nut, 7 string - 2 1/4 @ nut, this is only my experience, and is strictly from a custom standpoint. Bridge widths are less predictable....anywhere from 14 mm to 22 mm spacing with the average being between 16 and 19.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Wide!

That was true for fours and it's now true for fives. And my hands are on the smallish side.

20. i like wide necks but carrot cake is good too, esp. with Cream Cheese Icing.