1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you put your backup bass on a stand, or in a case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Jul 25, 2017.

1. I always leave it in the case

64 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. I always leave it on a stand

86 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. It depends on the situation

82 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. I never or rarely use a backup

45 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I know some people don't bring a backup. But for those who do: when you do bring a backup to a gig, do you put it on a stand, so you can grab it easily? Or do you leave it in the case, to protect it?

2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Bring a Hercules 3 guitar stand and Bring 2-3 basses. Offer the empty slot to one of the guitar players if he likes.

3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    If I'm going to be playing a second bass(fretted and/or fretless) during the night,I'll have it ready on a stand.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Rip Van Dan and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's always on a stand, tuned and ready to go.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If it's 100% a backup, as in it will only get used if my main bass has a problem, then it stays in a bag behind my amp.
    If it's mostly a backup but I know I'll be using it during the gig, then it comes out.

6. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I have a 2 guitar stand, so on a stand, assuming there is space to have a stand at all

Lvjoebass and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Depends. If I'm going to play them both (like fretted/fretless pair) Then on stand ready to go.
    If it's only a backup but van is parked really far away then on stage in case.
    If only a backup and parking lot is just out the door then it stays in case in van.

Not mentioned but amp backup is small DI in main axe case. Has saved my butt. Yeah PA will probably suck but WAY better than no bass at all.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If I NEED a second bass (altered tuning or such) it is on stage. Otherwise, in a case (if I bring a second).

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  9. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    If there's room, it goes on its own stand somewhere near me. If it's a tight stage, or if were going to be rushed out for the headliner, then it stays in its case in the staging area.

10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Also a great idea!

11. I like to switch basses for different sounds during the night.
    My backup is also the alternate, so it's on the stand, ready to rock.

12. I use a Hercules double stand and have both my main and backup basses on it.
    Just like in my avatar.

wpt1982 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  13. Wolford

Wolford

Dec 18, 2013
    If it's truly a backup (1 bass needed), I leave it protected in the case.

tjh, tlc1976 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  14. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Removed my comment because it was about home storage and not on topic ... oops :rollno:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    Main bass is out. Backup gets tuned then put in case by my rig in case main goes down. I've learned to have an extra. Sometimes it hasn't came out for quite a few gigs, other time I get bored and decide to play it at the gig. It's better protected in the case though.

tjh likes this.
  16. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Definitely tuned up and on a stand ready to go. If I need to use it as a backup, I want to make the switch as fast as possible. So should be plug in and go!

17. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I wear it on my back like a launcher secondary in Call of Duty.
    I just drop the primary and it disappears, then swing the backup over my shoulder.

18. Depends on the situation. How much room do I have on stage? How rushed am I to set up? How drunk do I plan to get by the end of the night?

btmpancake and Sid Fang like this.
  19. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I religiously bring a backup. It is always on stage within reach in case something unplanned happens to the one I am playing. I use, not abuse, my bass 110% to it's potential, and always want the show to go off without missing a beat. The members in my band deserve my best performance, and even more importantly, the audience deserves the best performance I can give.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I almost always bring a backup... but it never comes out of the case. I don't even tune it. If I ever need it, we can take a short break while I get ready. Better than having no bass at all.

MrLenny1 likes this.