1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you rack your lead sled?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Planespotter, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Yes, you should protect your equipment.

86 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. No, I want to keep it light.

15 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Carrots

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    So I’ve been gigging my Bass 400+ rackless and enjoying the increase in portability. How do you prefer to haul around your old heavy rack amps?

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. Always in a rack for me, but I don't have anything as bulky as that 400+. My M-6 Carbine could go naked I suppose, but it's much easier to transport when there are handles...

Planespotter, dBChad and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Every single amp I have ever had is/was racked.
    One never knows what can/will happen.
    Currently:
    Gator 4U, shallow
    1001RBii (btm 2 spaces)
    1U vented panel
    1U power conditioner (top)

Even racked GK MB800 and MB500 before.
    sh*t isn't cheap, and one never knows...

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I own a bunch of amps that are not racked, but I don't gig them. Every amp I have gigged was either a combo, a traditional head in a wood case, or racked. Unfortunately a rack does add a lot of weight.

My last touring rig was a 10-space rolling rack. Way too big to cart around in a passenger vehicle, but it was great for touring because we had a truck with a lift gate and often loaded onto stage level.

For local gigs I used my GK 700RB/112 combo. It has a telescoping handle and tilts back on wheels, so it is easy to roll around. The reason I bought it was because it was the best amp I could find that would fit in the trunk of my Dodge Neon.

If I had a micro Class-D, I would get a compact carrying case instead of rack mounting it. If I was touring with a rolling rack, I would probably keep a backup micro Class-D in a rack drawer. The only reason I could see to rack a micro Class-D is if you have a bunch of patching to deal with, which I typically do not.

Planespotter likes this.
  5. DB750 is in a case, mainly as its easier to carry, apart from the weight.
    Class D amps are in bags, so sit naked upon the cab.
    Tube amps are in their traditional wooden head cases

Planespotter, ELG60 and Wasnex like this.
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    When I had rack-able ones, yes, always.

Planespotter, gitfiddl and Ampslut like this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If it has ears, it gets the rack.

SirMjac28, 2tonic, Sid Fang and 12 others like this.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I do.

Planespotter likes this.
  9. I've never carried a 400+ around, but SWR Bass 350s, SM-400 an 900s, GK 400 an 800s, and other, older heads I carried rackless fer as long time. Mesa M-Pulse and Walkabouts, too. If I'M doin the carrying, it's fine, and amps stay cooler. I use a rack mostly, tho. Handles are our friends.

Planespotter likes this.
  10. Maybe I should rack my 800RB? I could fill up the back with cables and beer! :D

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Same here. The biggest pain was my Crest CA-6 which required an extra-deep molded case but that's long gone. Even my newer Epifani head has a form-fitting RoadRunner rack bag.

Riis

Planespotter likes this.
  12. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Rack it

IMG_1474.JPG

13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My 400RB takes up like half the depth of my rack case. I stuff my cables back there when transporting it. I've thought about cutting it down, but I'd need to rivet all of the hardware back on and that seems like more of a hassle than dealing with the extra length (that's what she said).

MYLOWFREQ, Chu and Planespotter like this.
  14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Why not just go for a shallow rack case? The latest model SKB roto molded shallow cases are pretty nice.

15. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Shallow is the way to go w/ GK.
    4D6065F0-2FF4-4111-B69E-885757A5CB33.
    E564481D-0887-43C6-80D1-19E0CF166AFC.

SirMjac28, Chu, Planespotter and 4 others like this.
  16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    All amps racked and all basses in hard cases. For me a little extra protection goes a long way for peace of mind. Granted, I'm generally operating in the original rock/metal world where there are three-to-several bands on every bill, which means that my stuff is often moved into the venue early and stacked around with other bands' gear, may be handled and moved around by other bands trying to get to their gear, typically needs to be hustled off stage after my set and either stashed at the venue again or hustled out to the car, and so forth. If I were playing some other, more relaxed scenario where my band was the only entertainment in the night, everything was always going to be moved directly from the car to the stage where it would sit all night, etc., it might be different.

17. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I normally would rack a bass head. However, my GK 1001RB-II is fairly small, light-ish', and it vents from the top. An adequately-sized rack would double the form factor and add unnecessary weight to it. I just keep it in a small, heavy duty Gator bag when transporting or storing it.

rodl2005 and Planespotter like this.
  18. Rack it. It’s really not that heavy even with the extra weight. I go up three steps of stairs ounce a week bass in one hand 400+ in the other. I had a 2 pro though for a minute and I wouldn’t rack it because that thing was a pain to carry.

Planespotter likes this.
  19. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Actually is draws from the top and vents from the front. As long as you have the GK suggested space above the unit, it's all good.

20. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Yep! Shallow rack for my 1001RB head.

Planespotter and 2saddleslab like this.