Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You Read Bassic Magazine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Treena Foster, Oct 13, 2003.

1. I read that some TB'ers read Bass Player Mag. Do you also read Bassics Mag?

[​IMG]
    Treena

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I bought one copy some time ago. I wasn't that impressed with it so I never bought another.

I probably shouldn't have passed judgement after only one copy. I don't see it on the newsstand very often, so the opportunity isn't there.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I do. I get it primarily for the CD's :D Seriously! I have discovered much new (to me) music that way. It is an excellent alternative to radio in my area which is predominantly Classic Rock, Pop, and oldies. All of which I like but I also like to hear new music, after all the same music being played for 30 years gets a little tiring. So from that perspective, it is a good magazine.

The interviews are also usually very well done. I do think that the content is a little thin for the price though. But I guess if I were really honest, the CD more than makes up for that.

Dan :bassist:

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I just sent them money for subscription the other day.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I subscribed to it a few years back. Their interviews are meaty, but if you're not into the few people they're focusing on.... oh well. I stopped getting it once they added the "free" CD and jacked the price up about 4 bucks. I also think it's a little thin on content, and they always seem a step behind BP, reviewing the same gear, or tackling some of the same topics.

Just got a free one in the mail. Liked the CD, considered subscribing cuz I love getting bass mags in the mail, and ultimately decided... naaaahh!

If they put tab to all the songs on the CD I'd subscribe in a heartbeat. If the editors are lurking here in the shadows and decide to do this, please let me know. :cool:

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would be very surprised if they did this. There is a distinct emphasis on reading notation in that magazine (I read both so it isn't a problem for me.) Their target market also appears to be more the trained musician or musician in training than the hobbyist.

I currently subscribe as I said above but I actually like Bass Player and Bass Guitar Magazine much more because they are content heavy in comparison. I noticed in the last issue of Bassics that there were only two lesson columns this time around. I hope that isn't a trend.

Dan

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Great link. I have been going there for sometime and really enjoy that magazine.

Dan :bassist:

9. SHB

SHB

Mar 25, 2003
    Maryland USA
    "for the CD's ... I have discovered much new (to me) music that way."

What Dan said.

10. Great Links, thank you.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. I buy it depending upon who's on the cover. It's half the thickness of Bass Player, but the CD kind of makes up for it. The reviews seem to be a little more to the point than BPs.

One thing I've noticed: Sometimes the same artist that's on the cover of Bassics has a big article on them in BP, or vice~versa.

For example: Jack Casady's on the cover of this month's Bassics, and there's a huge article on him in BP.
    I don't remember excatly when, but a while ago the same was true of Jack Bruce.

Why do they do this? :confused:

Mike

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    So I guess it appears as "who reads who". :D

13. DOH!!! :D

Mike :D

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've been subscribing for years....I really enjoy the magazine! Plus it's not owned by that evil empire that owns Bassplayer magazine

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The name of the magazine is "Bassics" magazine not "Bassic" and the website link is http://www.bassics.com/

I have every issue all the way back to #1 and it's great!!

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    quote:The name of the magazine is "Bassics" magazine not "Bassic" and the website link is http://www.bassics.com/

I have every issue all the way back to #1 and it's great!!

I also think it is great and have every issue.
    I also have spoke to Ron Garant several times
    over the years, what a great guy he is. :)

17. My bad!

I knew that!

[​IMG]
    Treena