Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you read interviews of musicians whose music you will never play or hear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 29, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's another pro-con "Slipknot" thread here in MISC, and it got me to thinking. I've read an interview with the members of Slipknot in Guitar World, but have not heard their music, nor do I care to.

I do this all the time. I am always look for info/attitude to enhance my playing abilities, but it doesn't bother me if I never hear a note a particular musician or band plays.

Anyone else here share this attitude?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Part of it is morbid fascination, part of it is plain ol' fascination, and the last part is the same as you. Some people just have a good head on their shoulders, despite musical merit, and that can be just as beneficial (the right attitude) as all the woodshedding time can allow.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm with you, P. Aaron.

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Only if I want to get into the music. But I can normaly tell if I'm going to like the music just by the picture. This is sad but I can.

5. for me, any pop, punk, pop-punk, or speed metal, i can read their interviews, but i don't think i'll ever hear most of their music...i'm not hurt....

6. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Sure, nice to see how someone that has "made" it thinks. Once you've read a heap of interviews they get pretty boring, cus people often say similiar things..

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm with ya here. I have my favorite era, and alot of the bands I liked from that era aren't interviewing these days.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Of course. They're the majority.

9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    All the time. You can't really learn if you spend all of your time reading about or speaking with people you agree with. Might as well just stand in front of the mirror! One of the best ways to learn and grow is from the experience of others - it helps you to stretch your imagfination and to come in from a different angle. Music is a gigantic melting pot of ideas, and you can learn from everyone. Metal and punk has great energy, jazz has chops and melody, motown/soul has the groove, etc. Hell, I can't stand rap but you know what? A lot of the grooves are happening! You get your own voice by incorporating and assimilating whats going on around you musically and non musically. Be a sponge - soak up as much as you can!

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I read interviews with people whom I don't know, but usually after I read the interviews (if they're good) I end up going out and getting some of their music to listen to.

There are people like Ani DiFranco and Jello Biafra whose music I'm not a big fan of, but whom I respect greatly and are just interesting characters.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty open minded, but I draw the line at Fred Durst.

I avoid apper you know interviews you know like you know the plague you know ...