Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you read more than one book at a time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 10, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    To prevent any comments from the peanut gallery, no, this is not referring to some kind of weird two-book simultaneous reading.

Rather, I was wondering if anyone here starts another book before finishing whatever else they're working on at the time. A lot of my friends simply read one book cover to cover, and then start on the next one.

They like to make fun of me, because at any given time I might be in the middle of three to four books, usually at least two. Sometimes it's a practical matter of one being a hardcover and therefore not as conducive to travel as a paperback, and sometimes there's no real reason. I always thought it was normal until I got to college, when it was pointed out that this behavior is not the norm.

Does anyone else do this?

2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Nope. My mind can't work that way. God love ya if yours can.

3. sure... i do it all the time.

Right now at home, I'm in the middle of reading through two or three computer technical books (Regular Expressions, Perl, and Python), a couple biographies, and half a dozen different paperbacks (mystery/suspense), in addition to various magazines, etc.

This is not normal, huh? hmm...

4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    God love ya.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, you got me beat. I though I was Big Man with my piddly three books. :D (I've always wanted to learn about Python... scripts and all that are beyond my feeble mind, however.)

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah sometimes I might have two books at different locations. One in my work desk, the other on the nightstand for instance. I haven't been doing this too often as of late.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    my AP english class is having me read a book when I just started the book I was supposed to read over the summer. My history teacher is also going to make me read something real soon. I read fast enough that I probably won't have to read them all at the same time.

8. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I guess I should clarify: Since I don't read for grades anymore, I don't feel the need to stuff it all in by yesterday. I used to be involved in 5 or 6 books at a time - in college. Now I read what I need to at work (mostly e-mail and memos), but I read for pleasure at home. And I just don't find it pleasurable to try to keep track of multiple plot lines.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i only did it once, afaik, if you don't count getting like one or two chapters into return of the king, going through an entire school year of readin, then going back to it. :D

if you do count that, then i did that twice.

i try to only read one book at a time, in general. like how in eating, i only go for one food item at a time.

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i like my peas mushie , could ya mush them up for me ?

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I can't read more than one at a time. Otherwise my brain gets all contorted and I mix up the stories from the 2 or more books.

Like, "Why did Blackthorne kill those samurai? Why didn't he just run with the antimatter...? Wait, no, wasn't he stuck in that sphere... Or was that a dinosaur cage?"

The same thing happens when I play a few video games at the same time. Too much chaos in this brain to pull it off.