Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You Read Music?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nanook, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Always

62 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Most of the time

91 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Some times

214 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. Never

33 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Can but don't for bass

80 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Tabs only

87 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It will be fun to see how this pole turns out. It's open ended, time wise, so everyone will have a chance to vote

Personally, I fall into the "Can but don't for bass" category.

I played trombone and baritone horn in the high school band so I know how. I just don't see the need for bass, as the lines are relatively simple and repetitious. I can get better flow and concentration on details without it.

Admittedly, I lay down the groove and keep slap and solo stuff to a minimum as I just don't like most of it. For other types of music, like fusion, I can see how it would be beneficial.

2. I played trumpet for four years, so I used to read fairly well, but I've forgotten most of it, haven't really been able to apply what I do remember to bass yet.

3. I'm the same as you guys. I am grade 8( idont know if you have thjese grades in music ability in the US) at tenor saxophone and clarinet. (Grade 8 is the highest grade). I have also had 5 years drum tuition.

I have only read for bass about three times when I sat in on my schools jazz band peformance because their bassist was sick

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to play the violin and used to be able to read treble clef like the morning paper.
    When I switched to bass I had some trouble adjusting to bass clef and neglected it for a while.

I still suffer from that mistake because you loose that reading skill very fast, but it's getting better and better again. I'm almost back on the old level, but there's still room for improvement.

5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I put in "can but don't for bass" because I can read treble clef for sax (at least I used to, haven't done that for a while) but have not worked on bass clef at all yet. I bought "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" to work on my bass clef reading but haven't spent time with it yet.

6. I picked Never because I feel like it takes too much time to figure out all that crap. Not reading music doesn't affect my musical creativity nor does it affect other musical stuff I do, so i have no use for it.

7. I picked always, I was the way I was taught and the way I learn what I want to learn.

Reading music isn't extremely hard, granted I read to figure out the music I don't pull out a piece and whip through it. I can't read that well.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I read music better than I read english. but I don't always, because some gigs are "ear" gigs.

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Nice quote ""ear"gigs", I like that.

This is one of John's favorite subjects, where is he when we need him.

10. I learned to read bass and treble clef on piano when I was 7, and I also played tenor sax (treble clef), and now I read bass clef for bass. I'm not great at it, if it's simple I can play fluently, if it's a little more difficult I can figure it out, it'll just take longer. I never learned to read standard notation for guitar though, just tabs or ear.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am teaching myself to read, a long, slow process.

I can read, but not well enough to play at the same time.

12. never, because i don't need to.

yet. ;)

i'm trying to learn anyway.

13. When I can see the darn notes! My eyesight isn't what it used to be.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Read Music for Tuba (...awwww:)) but not for bass...yet. I'm teaching myself, becuase it could never hurt me in any way to be able to read music. Even so, it's slow going. I don't mind. Always have something to do, and I'm getting better!

15. I voted "sometimes" but that's just charts. I read notation at a 6th grade level.

16. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I'm learning but I'm certainly not up to par with it, not where I'd like to be. Basically, I can learn songs from notation when given the chance to go over it all on my own time but I definitely couldn't breeze through a piece I've never seen before and play it on the spot. I have trouble reading while playing, I need to keep my eyes on the fretboard.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hey, who are all those guys who voted "always"???? We got members of the Concertgubow in here?

I said "some" because none of my gigs call for it. 100% of my reading is during home practice.

18. I said always, I don't pick it up like it is a newspaper but if I am going to read music I am not going to read tab.

19. I always sometimes read tabs only most of the time, but don't for bass. ;)

20. Not necessarily. If someone puts an English newspaper in front of me... I read English. If it's a Spanish paper, I read Spanish. I know, I know....
    DON"T FLAME ME! :D

(The question was "Do you read music?" not "CAN you read music?")

(later......) Jeez, I just noticed that the poll question is "Who reads music?" Dang, nanook... you troublemaker!:)