Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you read the obituaries?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I try to dayily but i sometimes forget, how about you?.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I go out, I want to go out with such style I get a Features, maybe a Metro article. I plan to transcend such petty sections as "obituaries" and "News of the strange."

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

...Darwin award...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't even pretend you ain't on the same boat, bucko.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Are you kidding?! My goal is to beat you! 1st place!!!

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Living in the same neighborhood for 7 years, I read the weekend obits. Sometimes I have to make a phone call and offer condolences.

7. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Yep read them every morning then once I'm sure I'm alive I go out and finish the day.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No, I recognize too many names.

Mike

9. I read them occasionally. I'm fascinated by people dying young. Sometimes, I'll come across one where the person was 19 or 25 or 37, and I just stare at the number for minutes at a time, trying to comprehend it.
    I also try to imagine how mine would read. I think at this point I would get about two sentences.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's what I mean. I don't want "Survived by," I want "Survivors," possibly a dead vs. wounded count. Two sentences is a throw away, people. Like I said, I'm aiming for bigger and better: front page, 72 pt. screaming font, pictures, polls, infographics. (Which, might I add, ties into the "Brendan's Dead Festival" I brought up in another thread.)

11. MAJOR METAL

That is something that really effected me when i was a Hospital Chaplin down in the DC area. Having to go with the Doctors to tell parents and siblings that their loved one is gone is an all around hard thing to do.

12. MAJOR METAL

I still carry around a list in my back pocket of all those who i know of or i was with them when they died.

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    why are you so obsessed with death?

14. MAJOR METAL

Why are you so obsessed with being a pain in the @ss all the time you are here.

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    :(
    i just wanted to know.
    maybe i phrased it in an offensive way, i wasn't really thinking about it, i apologise.

you've posted a few threads on death in the space of a week. i was curious.

16. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Now now, don't be an ass.

17. MAJOR METAL

Ok dont worry about it. I have ministered to alot of older folks who are nearing the end of their earthly life and they trying to make sense of the life they had and meaning of death. I ask these questions to get a sense of where a greater population stand on these issues.

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    IMO, "this is our paradise, there is nothing else".

obituaries are uplifting in the sense that they give a sense of what the person has accomplished during their life. their aint no oscars, nobel prizes or grammys in any afterlife (that we know of), so obituaries are the best appraisal we've got.

if you're into that whole external validation thing.

19. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    You sure it's not to seem cool? If you really cared, you would not be making threads on TB saying "I read about people who died, cool huh, does anyone else do this?"

I'm not buying that excuse either. Something more real plz.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    :rolleyes:

He's a priest.