Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you really dislike guitarists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by artistanbul, May 15, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I mean, I read lotsa things despising guitarists. Just now I stopped and thought to myself can this be not a joke but serious thought? If so how come? Personally I just love the sound of guitar, have excellent guitarist friends, but It's just.. not my thing.

What I mean is don't you just love Al Di, Satriani, Paco (rhymes with Jaco too) , B.B. King and.. and... man lots of musicians?...

And lastly I hope I am being gullible.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's the 'us and them' thing that's endemic with humankind (although I guess the word 'kind' is debatable ;) ).

You should hear what they say about accordianists! :oops: :D

Wulf

3. Guitarists? I feel sorry for drummers.

4. KILL ALL DJs!!!...

5. Maybe that's because some guitarists, more than other musicians, have an attitude problem. I know this band with one guitarist, she barely play solos, never practices, and isn't a very good musician at all. Still, she doesn't want a second guitarist in her band.

Also, lots of guitarists think they have to be louder than the rest of the band. That sucks. This lack of professionalism may be due to the guitars' popularity: Kids wanting to impress other kids choose the guitar because it is the flashier instrument. Then, some of them become somewhat profficient on the instrument, and ultimately join bands, still believing in this odd idea that guitar is the most important element in music.

Still, when you get a great guitarist, who has a cool attitude, professionalism, versatility (not always 100% distortion), AND great tone, then it's really great. I'm actually lucky to have TWO of them in my band! :bassist:

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I love guitarists!

No change that, I love guitar...

No, no, change that, I love guitar when its played well!

My biggest gripe with guitarists is that they are nearly always too sodding loud! They just dont seem to understand that their instrument is mid-range and they dont need to crank it up to 11 for to be heard.

My fav guitarists are John Frusciante, Hendrix, Josh Homme, Jimmy Page... dont know any more of their names ;)

Satriani can suck my stinky big toe... hmm, I think he has far less taste than the aforementioned digit.

Now this I can relate to. In the UK the DJ culture is huge. Every pub or bar or club in my home town (EVERY SINGLE ONE!!) will pay a DJ a couple of hundred quid or more to play someone elses music all night.
    The chicks love a DJ. DJ's get all the work and 99.99% of the time they are talentless bastards who have spent about much time learning their 'trade' as they have on their hair cut each morning.
    This is such a major bug bear for me... a club or pub or bar is willing to pay about five times to a DJ what they would to a band. That really really pisses me off.
    I think it also says alot about the mindless lazy consumers our society is made up of... it's just a perfect example of people not being botherd to work at anything whatsoever.. both the performers and the audience.

I have a mate who is in the UK DMC (disco mixxing championships) finals next month - so he's one of the top 12 DJs in the country. He is seriously SERIOUSLY good. What the guy does with records is mind blowing... but guess what, nobody will pay him to do that in a bar because it's too technical, they just want some wanker to play Kylie records all night! How ironic - one of very few DJs who is actually more skilled than being able to beat mix and he cant get work doing his thang!!!

So guitarists are fine.. but DJs, kill 'em all and give REAL musicians a bloody chance again.

Power to the people y'all.

GRRRR!!! ;)

7. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Now that's interesting.
    There are lots of GREAT bassists out there who were actually drummers beforehand.
    Cloud for instance is one of those talented people.

Anyway I had another idea just now.
    You know males like females.
    In fact we love them.
    But well we dont wanna act like females right.Right.
    And the kids! also the early teens, insult each other by saying "yoo girly; you are gay; go to girls bathroom!" stuff.
    Soo.. the point is, loving or liking something doesn't necessarily mean mimicing(sic?) it.

Congratulations myself.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What he said.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No I don't hate them. I am one.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    moley, you're no cyberfriend of mine, guitarist-scum.

:bassist: booo

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :( :D

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't think guitarists have more of an attitude problem than other musicians, I just think that there are more guitarists than any other type of musician. Higher percentage of people, higher percentage of dingbats.

What's with all the guitar bashing, anyway? Sure, some guitarists have a problem, but some people on TB just lay it on too thick.

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    No guitar bashing going on here.. I speak entirely in jest.. apart from about Djs'... grrr..

You're absolutely right, more guitarist means more wallys. Simple.
    The guitarists in all three of my current bands are actually very good. One in particular plays with fantastic subtlety... great.

However, I would say that I believe a large part of the problem is a) immaturity (many start young when it's cool then quit when their office job starts paying real money) and b) rock!

Rock guitarists do tend to be more frequent offenders in my experience... especially when it comes to the "play a solo over everything" and "ultraloud-distortion" factors.

Still, you cant beat laying down a chunky groove with some rockin guitar :cool:

Actually I forgot Tom Morello - he is supreme... Oh My God!!! ...and Slash - Slash is the don!

14. I don't think anyone has a problem with musicians, it is the raging egos posing as musicians that irk us. I think we all have had the misfortune of dealing with them at one point or another. They seem to gravitate to the guitar, probably for similar reasons balding, pot-bellied, middle aged men seem to gravitate to certain sports cars.

There are many great musicians who happen to have chosen guitar as their primary instrument (though I wonder if one's primary instrument is a choice or a calling...). Love of the music is great, overly developed love of self is annoying...

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Techno DJs and hiphop turntablists are cool. Kill karaoke!!!

Seriously: I don't hate guitarists, I hate the fact that many of them don't play fair. We bass players are very concerned about setting our tone for the overall mix. That doesn't seem to be a big concern for many guitarists: I've known quite a few who want to hear their entire tone, as if they're practicing alone. That means eeny weeny drums and eeny weeny bass.

FWIW, this seems to be a worse problem for Strat/Tele players.... I don't blame Hendrix or SRV, I blame the fact that the single-coil sound has such a wide frequency range. The typical Les Paul (series humbucker) sound seems to have its own niche in the spectrum.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I agree with most of the quote. Except, I really like Satriani. But it's really a matter of taste.

Some guitar players just want to saturate, rather than be a team player. I want to hear myself. But it's even better when I can also hear my tone.

Alot of guitar players think LOUD is tone. They have to be reminded, that LOUD is not always tone.

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    To me, it's just that so much rock/popular music is focused on the guitar, and it is too often the spoken and unspoken presumption that the bass is merely there to fill a little sonic gap in the bottom end.

Sure, there is plenty of popular music out there (older stuff, anyway) that is driven by the bass much more than the guitar. Most of it happens to be, for whatever reason, totally distasteful to the musicians in my blue collar, southern burg. Any music that takes the focus away from the geeeetar offends their delicate ROCK sensibilities. And it's not just just the guitarists of the world who feel this way, to be fair. It does, however, still seem to leave bassists to be the marginalized fans of "black" music in your average rock band (IME).

For me, I find myself in a situation where dance cover bands are being brought in from out of town, and they do really well at the local holy grail of live music venues. Local players whine about the unfairness of it all, but ask any of them if they'd care to play dance/pop music and they will balk. So, needless to say, I can't find any players who want to play music driven by the bass. It has been over ten years since I've been in a band that didn't have a two guitar lineup. It seems almost a given that a rock band (there are no pop/rock bands in my town) is going to have two guitars, bass, and drums. No keyboards, no horns. Two guitars. Not one, two.

So, yes, rightly or wrongly, I do feel sort of oppressed by the guitar. I want to have a great guitarist in the band I play with - it's a key role, to be sure. I DON'T want two guitars blaring, trading solos, burying me in the mix and relegating me to a "bitch" role in the band. If I want to be in a band at all, however, this is what I have had to accept for over ten years. The occasional side gigs I've played that have had a keyboard or a horn player were so incredibly refreshing and tantalizing. I can't for the life of me find a permanent home in a project like that, though...

So, yes, pathetic though it may be, I consider the guitar to be my enemy in some sense...

:oops: :)

18. That depends on the guitarist. I'd love to play in a band with a player like Eric Johnson or Robben Ford - even though they occasionally do some flashy playing, they generally put the music first. Besides being great lead players, they also play strong rhythm. I've heard some live shows of both guys that were unreal.

It's interesting that Roscoe Beck played for both of them. Even though he played more of a supporting role, he always played with a lot of presence and contributed a lot to the music. If I can do that with a guitarist, then I'll be happy.

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Response back to "Artistanbul". I guess you're right about the drummer thing. I still play drums, but took up the bass last August for our praise/worship band at church. To me, the transition has been a lot smoother than I thought, and I really know what to listen for so I can "lock-in" with the drums when required. However, I find there is a fair amount of latitude with the bass and I don't parrot the notes on the piano or always lay down the root of the chord. I often listen for the melody and play to it as well. Having a piano in the band allows a bit more flexibility and room to maneuver.

I know what everybody is saying about guitarists though. In my "power rock" days, we had a few guitarists who were prima-donnas. They tended to treat the bassist and drummer as if they were potted plants on either side.

All I can say is that guitar may be center stage from time to time but bass supplies the "Power and the Majesty" to the tune and the tingle up the spine. As someone else has said. The drummer tells you when to tap your feet, the bass makes you WANT to.

20. yeah I second that, my guitarist suffered from this syndrome. But then i bought a 1400 watt power amp and Ampeg SVT410HLF. And I told him that if he keeps turning up his 100 watt stack, i will buy another 4x10 and blow his a$$ out of the room.....now we can play and practice at moderate levels. I think he learned his lesson.