Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you really like that Warwick bridge???!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Niels Keijzer, Dec 8, 2000.

1. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, I had a passive corvette for one year, and I have been in a continious fight with that bridge...breaking g-strings, parts of the bridge that launched themselves when I was trying to change a string...
    I hated that bridge, and I don't know about the active corvette, but it sounded nice on it's own, but had no low end, and didn't rhime with a lot of drumsets.

I traded the thing in for my Status.
    This week, I lost one of my intonation-screws from the bridge...changed it with something from the garage that shared some resemblence.

Is this just me?

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
  3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I have no problems with my Warwick bridge. The only thing that bothers me just a little bit is that on my 5 string I can only use tapered B srings, that limites my string choice. But DR makes tapered B's so no real problem there.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah,but don't you feel that the tapered B's sound better anyway? I do.

5. I have a passive Corvette fretless and I think the bridge is excellent for tone, adjustment, style and ease of use - changing strings is easy peasy with the separate tailpiece. I like having the ability to swap between roundwound and groundwound strings without major dramas. I have never had a problem breaking strings.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

I only had my Warwick for more than a week but the bridge looks quite reliable and solid. you also gotta love the adjustability of this thing.

btw, I tried a passive vette and hated it. I don't like my Streamer's bypassed sounds either.

7. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I guess to some people the thing's great, and I liked how the bridge sustained for ages...
    But I think I just don't really like to adjust...I like it to be how it has to be, and then never to touch it again...I also wouldn't want a bass with more than two control knobs, I don't really like effects (I had a chorus and a flanger, but I always had them switched on or off, it wouldn't occur to me to use them), and I traded my Peavey amp for an Ampeg with less knobs...

I think it IS just me...

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Which is totally OK. I agree with you about fewer knobs being better but the Warwick I've had for about ten years breaks that rule. Mine has active/passive bass and treble, master vol and pu blend for the MEC Jazz front and splitable rear humbucker. Unlike any bass I've ever owned (30+) this set up I've found to be very useful not for getting a lot of different sounds (I'm a one sound, no effects kinda guy fer the most part) but more for fine tuning the sound for different rooms and/or musical situations. As for the bridge on your bass you shouldn't have to touch it ever unless you change the gauge or type of string you use. If you're having trouble with it take it to a good tech and let him take care of it. Warwick bridges work really well and a pro set up should make you happy with it.

9. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Me too. It's just that I can't try out the Elixer strings on my Warwick. I e-mailed them and they are not planning on producing a tapered B.