Do you really think....?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Heya.

Reading these pages, I notice a lot of threads asking about "what bass/amp/strings/beer was this person using on such and such"

Does anyone really think that buying the exact setup of your beloved hero will make you sound like them?? For me, I believe that every bass player has their own sound, it comes from their fingers, their head and their heart.

I love Geddy Lee, but I would never buy his signature bass hoping it would make me sound like him. :eek:
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I think it's a starting point when you're a young model after a hero..I agree with you, getting the same gear won't make you play in the style of that player. Though there is some truth in having particular gear to get a certain sound. It would be difficult to get Chris Squire's tone without a Ric for example..I'm sure you could play Roundabout with a P bass, but all the finger talent in the world won't make it sound like Ric.
  3. Smash said something like I said in the "fodera" thread.

I agree about the Chris Squire call, you do need a Ric. But what if you play a Ric fingerstyle? No, you won't sound the same. Its just too open to variances - u MUST play a Ric through an Orange (or whatever) with a pick to get the Chris Squire sound. its bulls**t

Young / newbie bass players are the most at risk from this kind of rubbish - I play Geddy on a Jazz through an Ashdown. Sure, its not his exact sound, but i think its more important to get the notes right than the sound. Thats all I was saying.
  4. hehe - and i would love to play an alembic

anyone in my part of the world have a lefty alembic??

thought not :eyebrow:
  5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I understand what you're saying..there's truth on both sides. You do point out the most important thing I think...that is getting inside the song. Once you can get inside the tune and know it from muscle memory and make it yours...then you are hitting the point of it all. I like to own the tune, but pay my tribute to the bassist in my own way of course. It's like what the good blues guitarists do...they play it their own way, but tip the hat to the greats along the way.

something like that.. rock on!